Lawn tractor for 1/2 acre lawn

cottom

Threads
The thing I don't like about JD mowers is their "safety" feature which requires that you stop the mower blade before you're allowed to back up.
There are many "tight" places and small areas between shrubs in my half-acre lawn that require shifting into reverse to get into them (and around obstacles).
With the automatic shift mechanism on my Craftsman lawn tractor, its quite easy to back up and get into these tight spots WITHOUT having to stop the mower blades each time I change direction.

That "safety feature" came about because some yo-yo let his 18 month old son play in the yard while he was mowing and he backed over the child. Then he sued Cub Cadet (MTD) for allowing it to happen, and WON!

By the way I also have 1/2 acre of lawn and use an 2042 18hp hydro 42 inch deck and am happy with it.

Last edited:

Rose

Threads
Now have a Cub Cadet 3200. Units do year round duty by blowing snow in the winter.

Thanks Carbuilder for this info. I have a friend who has a 3/4 acre lawn, and as she lives new Barrie in Canada (which gets more snow than you have probably ever seen in your life) she will be interested. I've passed the info along to her.

Attachments

• 20150316_123351.jpg
    20150316_123351.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20150316_123108.jpg
    20150316_123108.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 9

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This old thread has me confused. I have a JD LA135 purchased from a dealer. How is it different from one that would be purchased at a box store? Did I get something better?

Can't reverse with the blades engaged? That's news to me as I do it frequently with no modifications.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
This old thread has me confused. I have a JD LA135 purchased from a dealer. How is it different from one that would be purchased at a box store? Did I get something better?

Can't reverse with the blades engaged? That's news to me as I do it frequently with no modifications.

If it has the same model number it will be the same... If it has a different model number it most likely will be different...
Most mowers mow forward and backwards with nothing but a change in direction necessary... Why would anyone even consider buying anything that requires you to do something silly before you can proceed?
Just because the operating system might require me to pat my head while rubbing my stomach dose not necessarily cause me to be careful ... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
John Deere dealers can NOT do any warranty work on the big box store models.

I don't want to offend anyone or start a war but this statement that was made about John Deere Dealers not doing warranty work or servicing John Deere mowers purchased from lowes or Home depot is completely false. I have five dealers within 50 miles of my location and all will do warranty work or service any JD mower that is purchased from any BB Store. The statement that they will not or that they are not authorized to do so is a complete fabrication by some one who apparently had a problem with one of the BB Stores. I mite add for those of you that have Cub Cadets that the Cub Cadet Dealers will do the same.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't want to offend anyone or start a war but this statement that was made about John Deere Dealers not doing warranty work or servicing John Deere mowers purchased from lowes or Home depot is completely false. I have five dealers within 50 miles of my location and all will service any JD mower that is purchased from any BB Store. The statement that they will not or that they are not authorized to do so is a complete fabrication by some one who apparently had a problem with one of the BB Stores. I mite add for those of you that have Cub Cadets that the Cub Cadet Dealers will do the same.

That is true:thumbsup: ... there is really no reason they wouldn't/couldn't or shouldn't...
I think it is maybe similar to the early days of automobile service... When there were dozens of 'dealers' in every community and they all were trying to make the "we service what we sell" statement, thinking that it helped sales... It has be demonstrated that type of policy hurts sales... after all the dealer who helps a customer is most likely the one that gets future business... Those that don't will be remembered in the future as not being of help... Basic business principals don't change much. :smile:KennyV

briggs

Threads
agree with Ric and Kenny both .. As for the guy Suing for running over his kid What the hell ...Its not MTD s fault he backed over his kid ..

Lawur2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own 3 JD mowers (GT-235, LT-133, GT-85). Will NEVER own another one. With each new mower the operation and maintenance gets worse. I spent over $4k on the newest mower and it is certainly the worst. Plastic cowling has broken and splintered from vibration, parts are extremely expensive, and John Deere has completely refused to stand behind the miserable quality. I would strongly recommend you stay away from JD mowers. I also own a Kubota and its quality and performance has been excellent.

Black Bart

Threads
Hi all, new member here. I have a big lawn, about 1/2 acres. Have used an old agway mower with 4 wheel steer. Not sure who made this machine but once you get past the plastic body panels it's been a decent little mower for the price - paid $50 for it at a garage sale. Before that I had a walk behind and will never go back to that.

Looked at the new JD models at Home Depot but I am not completely convinced that they aren't priced up a bit for the name and paint job. There are a lot of other brands out there but I am not sure which direction to go. Was thinking about a JD LA125 or LA145, anything bigger would be over kill imo.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
WOW I guess I have overkill I mow less than 1/2 acre with 725 Grasshopper with 72 inch deck.

My theory is no point of making a career out of mowing the lawn.

hoehappa

Threads
It depends on how much $$ you want to spend. You will NOT find the John Deere models sold at Lowes or HomeDepot at any John Deere dealer. And John Deere dealers can NOT do any warranty work on the big box store models. You will also find different (cheaper) engines in the BB store than in the dealer. Dealer may offer B&S, Kohler, or Kawasaki engine. All pressure lubed. BB store only has B&S engines and only the higher priced are pressure lubed.
I would look at Craftsman, Husqvarna, or Poulan. Those are all made by AYP (American Yard Products). These are a great mid priced machine.

THE John DEERE dealers here in winston salem nc sell and service the same products the big box stores have. the big box type jdeeres are made by john deere here in north carolina a local dealer told me!!!