Snapper 52 inch pro Zero turn mower spindle bearing problem

jhaley2@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Snapper 52 inch pro Zero turn mower spindle bearing problem
I have a Snapper 52 inch Zero turn that a lower spindle bearing failed. I grease bearings about every third use. I assumed that the spindle bearing housings were vented under the deck and old grease would purged out when greasing. Found that the vent/ purge holes were plugged with pin.., I bought mower new in 2003.
Does not appear that lower bearing gets much new grease. I might be over greasing bearing because of the design change. i have attempted to contact the Snapper Tech department to no avail. Am trying to find out if there has been any design change to the spindle since 2003. Maybe it would advantageous to install two sided deep grove radial bearing shielded on both side and forget about greasing spindles. Where can I purchase replacement bearings for NTN 6305 LC at reasonable price? Thank You

Lawnranger

Threads
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, most spindle bearings are sealed bearings and even though there is a grease (zerk) fitting on the spindle housing the bearing seal prevents the grease from actually getting to the bearings themselves. I can purchase new bearings for my mower for $1.75 each and rebuild the spindles in about 10 minutes. I buy some of my parts from tulsaenginewarehouse.com. You will need the Snapper part number for the bearing or you can measure the I.D., O.D. and height to see if one is listed at TEW.

I stopped greasing my spindle bearings once I found out that the bearings are sealed and greasing them made no difference in bearing life. Greasing the spindles only made a much bigger mess to clean up when it came time to rebuild so that is why I stopped. I fully understand that it is possible that all spindle bearings are not sealed bearings so my advice to not grease spindles is limited to myself only.

YMMV

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I understand your concern about sealed bearings. I grease them anytime I see a zerk fitting. Here is the answer which I would give to my students. A sealed bearing cannot accept grease until the seal breaks, who checks sealed bearing before they breakdown. If you surround the bearing with grease it will go no where until the seal breaks and then into the bearing through the break due to a slow build up of heat before the bearing completely breaks down. Also the grease will keep the rubber seal soft longer extending the life of the bearing for just a few pennies. Hope this makes sense.

Lawnranger

Threads
Rivets, yes that makes sense. I was even thinking the next time I rebuild one of my spindles I will remove the inboard seal of the bearing so the grease can actually get to the bearings but I just don't like the mess and for under $4.00 I can rebuild them once a year. Maybe I'll flip a coin on the next rebuild.:smile:

jhaley2@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower has inner shield removed on both lower and upper bearings . The mower is used only at home on about a one and half acre lot . Maybe a sealed for life bearing would suffice for a commercial mower used only at home. My wife does the mowing , and has promoted me to pit Crew Chief. Thanks

jhaley2@gmail.com

Forum Newbie
Threads
I received this response from Snapper as to the procedure to re-assemble spindle:
MCD Snapper Info Info.Snapper@basco.com
3:31 PM (6 hours ago)

to me
John,
Thank you for e-mailing
The new bearings should not have the shield removed. The grease will help dissipate moisture from the shaft and will aid in the cooling of the spindle..
Thank you
I guess they found that plugging the vent/bleed hole and removing the inner seal on the bearings was not the proper way to lubricate the spindle bearings. My impression from the email is that adding grease will displace moisture between the bearings only. This should not require much grease and should be done in moderation.