Weed Eater One (WE261) peice of junk!

haolewill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, my neighbor and I figured out how to fix the friction disc problem on the weed eater one! We used a standard wheel from a Snapper, cut out the middle to fit the assembly for the weed eater and put it back together, lubed everything from front to back and now it wants to pop wheelies!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It seems like the we261 goes two ways. The people that never have problems, and people that can't keep it in one piece.

ash-dot

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, my neighbor and I figured out how to fix the friction disc problem on the weed eater one! We used a standard wheel from a Snapper, cut out the middle to fit the assembly for the weed eater and put it back together, lubed everything from front to back and now it wants to pop wheelies!

I can't agree more with you, haolewill. The friction disk on my WE261 also started to malfunction. That is, it has the same problem. I wonder where you got the standard wheel from a Snapper. What is a Snapper, BTW? Can you provide more info?

Thanks a lot.

haolewill

Forum Newbie
Threads
A Snapper is a lawn mower company. Forrest Gump rode one when he was mowing the grass on the football field

ash-dot

Forum Newbie
Threads

haolewill

Forum Newbie
Threads
That part you've searched # 1603486 is the one I used. We had to trim a little out of the center with a die grinder to match the inner diameter of the stock wheel. When putting it back togetherbe sure to use the weed eater's original friction band as this is what provides the grab that gets you moving.

buzzsaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Haolewill,

The Friction wheel on my WE261 is also worn, and I would like to try your repair. I have ordered the part you suggested, since It does not make sense to sense over $300 on a replacement transmission assembly. My question is what do you mean by "When putting it back togetherbe sure to use the weed eater's original friction band as this is what provides the grab that gets you moving " Also any other information on the modification, or pictures would be helpfull-thanks. I am familiar with how the transmission works, and comes apart, as I have had to replace both brackets that hold the shaft that the friction drive wheel rides on. Thanks

haolewill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Buzzsaw,
the drive disc is actually a 2-piece disc, the outer is disc you are replacing with the worn out rubber band around it, the inner connects to the drive axle with bolts. The friction band rests between the 2 discs and forms a connection when the assembly is pressed against the engine drive wheel (when brake is released). You will notice that the snapper disc assembly you ordered may come with one of these bands but is considerably thicker, this will not work on your mower. The outer disc from the snapper assembly (the one with the rubber band on the outside) is all you're interested in. Hold your original outer disc against the snapper outer disc and trace out the piece you'll have to cut out of your new disc to make it line up like the old one did.

buzzsaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Haolewill,
Thanks-I modified the Snapper disc that you recommended and installed in the WE261. Spent 18 Bucks verses 300 for a new tranny. Although the diameter of the new disc is the same as original, it is slightly thicker. After tightening the 4 Bolts that connect the two halves of the assembly together the new disk gets caught and does not spin freely as it should to enable the supposed "smooth" shifting. I resolved by crafting a gasket out of cork to go between the two halves of the HUB so now the friction disc can spin. . Mower works great now with good speed, and power and no slipping. It is also quieter.

Now-for the rest of the story. Got half the yard done-and the Brake Cable just broke ! What a P.O.S !

Threads
I was reading the reviews for this mower on their website, and this is what one of them said:

"tires roll off of rim on any minor slope. i have had to replace4 tubes in 15 mo.
at 17 months beake cablel broke, ann transmission blow up.
does a good job,on the lawn if i can keep it operating
very hard to steer, i think a few engineering changes could turn this into areally good mower,
it is just the right size for my yard,
frank"

I think it is not a good mower if the tires roll off of the rims!!!:thumbdown: