Repairs 3.5hp Briggs motor surging

DAVEM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower ran fine 1 week ago. Over the weekend it started and ran fine for about 5 minutes then it started to surge and then stall. Would start right back up and as long as I did not try to move the mower it would run fine. As soon as I tried to move it whether it was on the sidewalk or in the grass it would start to surge and then stall. After about 10 attempts I gave up. I figured it was a fuel problem. I'm using fresh fuel that was just purchased and I cleaned the vent holes in the cap. No help. Changed plug and cleaned carb. No help. Changed carb and magneto. No help. As a last resort I pulled flywheel and changed key and now I've lost spark and mower will not start. I have no idea where to start looking for my "lost" spark or why this motor continues to surge and then stall. I am in need of some help.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The loss of spark could be due to no gap between the flywheel and coil when you had the flywheel off.
Slacken the coil bolts and fold a4 piece of paper in half.
Turn flywheel till magnets are in line with coil and slip paper between coil and flywheel then tighten bolts.
The surging is most likely the carb diaphragm and gasket.
Also may need to set gov springs up.