Hustler Sport - Deck Removal, Blade Maintenance

Carl53

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just had my 42 inch Sport delivered. After studying it and the manual, I am a little dismayed about all the commentary about sharpening the blades daily (I do not expect to do - level ground) and there being no apparent easy means to remove the deck or blades for maintenance. The manual does not seem to offer much help in this area other than working from below the machine. Any recommendations?

scott47429

Threads
the deck on my mower is way to heavy for me to remove by myself so i went a bought a lawn mower jack and use it to remove blades and clean out the deck 2 times a year

tavis

Forum Newbie
Threads
my brother has the same mower and only sharpens the blades 2-3 times a season. he pulls it up on those portable car ramps

Larry R

Threads
I just had my 42 inch Sport delivered. After studying it and the manual, I am a little dismayed about all the commentary about sharpening the blades daily (I do not expect to do - level ground) and there being no apparent easy means to remove the deck or blades for maintenance. The manual does not seem to offer much help in this area other than working from below the machine. Any recommendations?

I have a Sport 48" and put a small one ton chain hoist in the ceiling of the shop then use an electric impact wrench; that works great.
Love the Hustler. I hope you didn't get the Honda GVX530. Mine is down for the 4th time for valves under warranty. Carb trouble as well. Spends more time in the shop than home.

wascator

Threads
I run mine up on one plastic ramp I got a pair of at Wal-Mart. If you do it sideways an d run one front wheel up the ramp, the ramp doesn't even get in the way. I use a 2X4 and a box-end wrench and get the blades off very handily, no problems. The blades are heavy and I have never bent one. Typical blades: sand will wear them, and you have to sharpen them, but they are reasonably priced I think at about $42 for all three (48 inch).
I can't see how it could be much easier or better.