Buying Advice Need some help buying a mower

BamaMatt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought a cheap push mower from Lowes about 3 weeks ago. I do not like it. I like to keep my yard cut very low and seems to tear the grass instead of cutting it. I mow it twice week (atleast every 5 days).

I was thinking about buying a reel mower but wondering the best brand to buy? I want one with a bag between $100-$200. I have bermuda grass that I would like to keep under 1" tall. My yard is under 1/4 of an acre with no trees and is relatively flat.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would look at either a Scotts or husqvarna. Google them.

BamaMatt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would look at either a Scotts or husqvarna. Google them.

My issue with the Scotts is that the Scotts classic only cuts as low as 1" and I would like something that has the option of cutting lower.

I will check out the Husqvarna. Do you have any experience with it?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Where I use to work, we sold husky's and repaired reel mowers. We liked how quiet and well we could get both of these mowers to cut.

stygz

Threads
I too have Bermuda grass. I didnt beleive it myself but come july and august if you turf is in decent health you are not going to get a manual reel mower through that grass. Not to mention dealing with the heat of the south. I too was going through what you are last year. I borrowed a manual reel from a friend. I cut one patch with out problem. I then made a few passes on the regualar lawn and gave up. A power reel mower is really expensive. A good used one will set you back about $500 and it may need to go to a shop for sharpening/adjustment and thats another $100-150. The best reel mower I found to be was the Fiskars. But it only cuts to 1". To be able to cut with a manual reel you are going to be out there about every other day. Some of the guys that keep Bermuda less than 1" are out there most every day. The lower you keep it the more you need to be out there. I started out cutting at 1" early spring. I am now at 1.5" and cut every third day. The trick with a rotary mower is to have 2 blades so you always have a sharp one on hand. I need to sharpen the blade about every 3 weeks. I have been looking myself for a mower better suited for mulching. Currently I have a Lawn Boy (toro super bagger in green) but am looking for a super recycler or Honda HRX. With brass maintained less than 1" you will also need to have your lawn leveled with sand. My suggestion is to use your rotary and maintain grass length between 1" and 2.5". remember the lower you keep it the more often you will have to mow. It will still look good at those lengths.

Google search bermuda bible

earthworm

Threads
I too have Bermuda grass. I didnt beleive it myself but come july and august if you turf is in decent health you are not going to get a manual reel mower through that grass. Not to mention dealing with the heat of the south. I too was going through what you are last year. I borrowed a manual reel from a friend. I cut one patch with out problem. I then made a few passes on the regualar lawn and gave up. A power reel mower is really expensive. A good used one will set you back about $500 and it may need to go to a shop for sharpening/adjustment and thats another $100-150. The best reel mower I found to be was the Fiskars. But it only cuts to 1". To be able to cut with a manual reel you are going to be out there about every other day. Some of the guys that keep Bermuda less than 1" are out there most every day. The lower you keep it the more you need to be out there. I started out cutting at 1" early spring. I am now at 1.5" and cut every third day. The trick with a rotary mower is to have 2 blades so you always have a sharp one on hand. I need to sharpen the blade about every 3 weeks. I have been looking myself for a mower better suited for mulching. Currently I have a Lawn Boy (toro super bagger in green) but am looking for a super recycler or Honda HRX. With brass maintained less than 1" you will also need to have your lawn leveled with sand. My suggestion is to use your rotary and maintain grass length between 1" and 2.5". remember the lower you keep it the more often you will have to mow. It will still look good at those lengths.

Google search bermuda bible
This is excellent advice...
To add, I'd plant some trees, the grass will thank you....Protection from the heat....
Do NOT plant any "cotton" trees.