My craftsman lawn tractor just clicks, won't even crank.. please help..

bqe2

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / My craftsman lawn tractor just clicks, won't even crank.. please help..
Hi everyone i'm new on the forum. I currently have a craftsman 42" deck 6 speed 13.5 hp i/c gold
Brigg&Stratton model 917.258502... When i turn the key it just makes a click on the solenoid.
I've done the basic, check the sparkplug, Battery, air filter, dump old fuel, change the oil, clean the connections. I'm stump. The mower is pretty old and i've inheritted from the previous home owner almost four years ago.. It ran until last year and a half when it only cranks and won't fire.. Right now there are no fuel even so it should crank. I've just order the solenoid through sears.. The previous year to get it to crank i had to wiggle some wires... Im not sure which ones..Any ideas?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've done the basic, check the sparkplug, Battery, air filter, dump old fuel, change the oil, clean the connections. I'm stump.
The previous year to get it to crank i had to wiggle some wires... Im not sure which ones..Any ideas?

WELCOME to LMF...
The only thing from the above list that "might" have anything to do with your problem is: "Clean the connections". & possibly "check the Battery".
If it was BOTH ends of Both battery cables that you cleaned... and if you checked the battery voltage with a load....

With the key turned to start measure the voltage at both large terminals & the small terminal of the starter solenoid.
Then measure the large posts on solenoid with the key in Off position...Post back with what you get at these 5 voltage checks...
:smile:KennyV

bqe2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advice kenny.. I think i've found the problem.. I found out that if i jump the cable from the battery to the starter directly, the starter engages..but from the solenoid to the starter there is no juice. The problem is pretty much in the solenoid. There are no voltage reading at all. I order a new one so let see..I'll keep the update.. Thanks again.

mikey11

Threads
assuming your battery is fine....most likely the starter motor itself....

when it happens tap the starter motor LIGHTLY with a hammer, then try again....do this a few times if necessary....if it turns and starts then your starter motor has a dead spot in it

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dont hit any starter with a hammer or you will be changing it due to magnets breaking up.

With what you are saying it cant be the starter as it starts when you bypass the solenoid.
Its either a solenoid or no power going to the solenoid on the small wire.
Not a problem to tap the solenoid but not the starter.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you know how much money repair shops have made over the years because somebody Tapped the starter. Same with Tapping flywheels and breaking the magnets in those to which also leads to having to replace the stator because a broken magnet damaged the stator, if not totally ripped loose from the engine.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think a lot of folks got into the notion that tapping a starter was okay, back in the days of big starters with field windings... you could hit them with a sledge hammer... Not the case with permanent magnets... they will crack, shatter or come loose...
It can not be said too often... Never drop or hit a starter it will co$t ... :smile:KennyV