Bolens 38" cut will not crank with spark plug in, take it out, turns over fine.

TIMFORREST

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Bolens 38" cut will not crank with spark plug in, take it out, turns over fine.
I have charged battery, purchased in March 2012. Checked for fire, it is good. Checked plug, lots of fire. New starter, turns engine over good when the plug is out but when I put the plug in, it will not turn the engine.

DanielD3000

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Bolens 38" cut will not crank with spark plug in, take it out, turns over fine.
TIMFORREST said:
I have charged battery, purchased in March 2012. Checked for fire, it is good. Checked plug, lots of fire. New starter, turns engine over good when the plug is out but when I put the plug in, it will not turn the engine.

Hello, I'm new to the forums and not a professional, but I think it's not releasing the compression when it should. If you have an OHV engine, check the valves and see if they need adjusted. I can't tell you how, unfortunately, but someone else should know if you don't.

dodgefate

Threads
Re: Bolens 38" cut will not crank with spark plug in, take it out, turns over fine.

Maybe a weeeeeekkk battery...... Try jumping it and see if it works!

benski

Threads
Re: Bolens 38" cut will not crank with spark plug in, take it out, turns over fine.

A weak battery or bad connections would certainly do it, as well as a valve adjust needed on an OHV engine.

kody

Forum Newbie
Threads

you can learn to adjust valves by watcting you tube,pull up lawn mower repair, valve adjustment.

TIMFORREST

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thanks for ur responses. I plan to jump it but I expect the valves need adjusting which I will try my hand at in a couple of days.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Just be careful adjusting valves, you can end up spending big $$$ if you are not on your game.

DanielD3000

Forum Newbie
Threads
TIMFORREST said:
Thanks for ur responses. I plan to jump it but I expect the valves need adjusting which I will try my hand at in a couple of days.

Yes, as kody said, youtube is helpful. Look for donyboy73's videos. He's the reason I know what I do.

TIMFORREST

Forum Newbie
Threads

Well, here is what happened. I guess I got lucky. I removed the hood etc to get to the valve cover. Removed the four bolts that held the cover and took it off. There were the two lifters with a nut. I couldn't see a set screw and if I did see one, it was a star with a hole in the middle which I didn't have anything like that so I put my wrench on each nut a gave it a little turn or maybe a little Turn. More than just a little but not enough to break something. Turned the key without the plug and they seemed to be rocking to and fro just fine. I put the cover back in and the plug back in, sat in the seat and hit the starter and it started right up. It was late, cut it off, next morning nothing same old thing. So it has to be the battery. I took it to Advance and they said it needed a charge. I swapped batteries with another mower I have and I have been mowing ever since. Thanks for all your help. I don't think I did much but I learned a lot and it didn't cost much.