Snapped starter cord on Honda HR173 mower

terryr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there

Posting from Bonnie Scotland.

I have a Honda HR173 mower, the starter cord has just snapped. There are plenty of videos on the net with details of replacing cords on other mowers. None of them seem to be right for mine which does not allow access into the starter to remove the broken cord and fix on a new one. There is a bolt in the middle of it which I am afraid to remove as I just know the spring on the inside will come spilling out. Does anyone over there in the USA have any experience of these mowers and their starters.
Thanks

Terryr

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone over there in the USA have any experience of these mowers and their starters.

Take a look at these pages (scroll down a bit) from the HR173 Shop Manual, Terry. You should be able to get that recoil mended easily.

If you happen to have any Dalmore 12 year, I'll take a case please. :smile::smile:

dalmore-12-single-malt-scotch-whisky.jpg

Attachments

• HR173 Recoil R&R.jpg
    HR173 Recoil R&R.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 208
  • HR173 Recoil Apart.jpg
    HR173 Recoil Apart.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 224
  • HR173 Recoil Back Together.jpg
    HR173 Recoil Back Together.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 216

terryr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Morning Robert+

Thank you very much. That is very helpful. You are right I will be able to replace the cord easily from these diagrams. I admire your taste in Malt Whisky. If I did have some lying about I would not hesitate to send you a case. You might not believe it but it is very expensive to buy here. The best I can do is is to say "Long mae your lum reek" . In Auld Scots that meant " long may your chimney smell" in other words have a long life.

Best Wishes

Terryr

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
You might not believe it but it is very expensive to buy here.

Like lawn mowers, quality stuff is almost always more costly, but only hurts once when you buy. Then, it's pure pleasure (until the bottle is empty). :biggrin:

Life is short enough already; I'm not going to make it worse by drinking lousy Scotch. :tongue:

RonLehman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda HR 173 mower and the starter rope broke near the first guide. I took the top off and tried to unscrew the bolt that holds the mechanism but it is very, very stubbornly tight. Has it had Locktite applied at the factory? I am reluctant to use strong force for fear of breaking that bolt. If it will withstand a strong twist to get it undone ... so be it. Can I use anything other than a Honda part to replace the rope? The mower was purchased i n 1989 and is still a beautiful operating machine jus tlike my Honda snow-blower. Please respond ASAP as I need to cut my grass. Thank you.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Honda HR 173 mower and the starter rope broke near the first guide. I took the top off and tried to unscrew the bolt that holds the mechanism but it is very, very stubbornly tight. Has it had Locktite applied at the factory? I am reluctant to use strong force for fear of breaking that bolt. If it will withstand a strong twist to get it undone ... so be it. Can I use anything other than a Honda part to replace the rope? The mower was purchased i n 1989 and is still a beautiful operating machine jus tlike my Honda snow-blower. Please respond ASAP as I need to cut my grass. Thank you.

See post #2 above for all the details.

I do believe the reel cover bolt is a normal right-hand-thread (righty-tighty, lefty-loosey) style. Probably corroded inside, and the threads have seized. Try spraying it with some pentrant (a.k.a. 'liquid wrench') and let it soak in, repeat, might take a day or so.

30405326-b30d-4562-b676-69c1a51b2710_1.27c4a965e0d73741d09ad1538ceab2b6.jpeg

When/if you get it apart, take some of the old rope to your local dealer and have them match up some bulk rope to use a a replacement. You don't really need 'genuine' Honda cord for this.

Worst case is you replace the entire starter, which Honda still offers, but it on back-order right now (expected 9/19/2016). Part Number 28400-ZG1-702ZD ($60.59). I know that's a lot for what should be a $2 piece of rope, just saying if you can't get the bolt loose, a starter is (will be) available.

FYI, the parts, numbers, etc. are all USA sourced (I see you are in Canada). Honda Canada may or may not use the same numbers, or even have that part in stock. I can only report on what American Honda still has available.