Alternate Oil Filters

jammar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone have alternate oil filter numbers for Bush Hog P/N 50058299?

I have searched some and have not found another manufacture that makes a substitute filter. This filter is for the hydraulc system on a zero turn mower. Thanks

44carbine

Threads
I took my filter off my mower and went to Wal-mart and just started opening boxes and comparing sizes till I found a match. Filter was $1.96,beats $9.00 for a factory filter. Have you tried looking up your model on the Wix Filter website.

rjgarr

Forum Newbie
Threads
www.framcatalog.com is another good site for cross-referencing. It helped me cross my Kohler to a Wix. Unfortunately it doesn't list yours...

CarlGlas

Threads
Not all oil filters are the same. While they may look the same on the outside, it's what's on the inside that's important. The oil filter is the engine's main line of defense against abrasion and the premature wear. It removes solid contaminants such as dirt, carbon and metal particles from the oil before they can damage bearing, journal and cylinder wall surfaces in the engine. The more dirt and other contaminants the filter can trap and hold, the better. When it comes to oil and a filter, don't risk your engine to anything less than what the manufacture specifies. Besides, it could void the warranty if still in effect. :thumbsup:

indypower

Threads
I can get you a Wix number if you post the model numbers and type of equipment.

CarlGlas

Threads
If your Bush Hog is like my 2005 Massey Ferguson GC2300, as far as difficulty in getting that filter, you will have to get from the dealer because of the required flow rate and bypass valve. If I remember correctly, mine cost something like $23. Because it doesn't have to be changed as often as the engine oil, the Ouch isn't quite so bad. :eek:

I just checked Wix and they still don't list a filter for the hydraulics.

www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp

Deerebeer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try ng your local NAPA auto parts store. They can cross refrence it for you !!!:cool2::cool2:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like what has already been said, most all places that sell filters will be able to cross ref your numbers to their brand. If they have made a replacement.

If there has ever been an engine manufacturer that spec a particular 'brand' filter, I have not seen such a thing. I have been around a lot of different engines and equipment publications for many decades and never have I read of a warranty issue using the appropriate cross reference to non OEM filter. I do not know where this idea came from originally but would like to see anything from a manufacturer or even a dealer stating that you must use OEM filters. KennyV

jet62095

Threads
If WIX and Fram filter sites don't have it, I don't see you finding a suitable replacement. I wouldn't go the Wal-Mart approach, as most of the filters there are JUNK (Fram!), and most factory filters do the job sufficent.

CarlGlas

Threads
Seven years have passed since my last posting and I happened across this one while researching for an aftermarket hydraulic filter for my 2005 Massey Ferguson GC2300. While some filter manufacturers such as NAPA and WIX now make some filters for my application, as of this date none have made one for the hydraulic system. But I think I am getting close to a substitute.

In regard to my comment today, I am not sure if your response was in reference to my comment below, but if it was I think maybe you misunderstood the message I was conveying. As I am sure you know, most engines require a filter that meets certain technical specifications. If someone plans on using a aftermarket filter they need to make sure it meets the technical specifications such as flow rate, bypass relief, etc. the manufacturer says the engine requires. I was not saying that there was a requirement to use their filter only or you could void the warranty.

"Not all oil filters are the same. While they may look the same on the outside, it's what's on the inside that's important. The oil filter is the engine's main line of defense against abrasion and the premature wear. It removes solid contaminants such as dirt, carbon and metal particles from the oil before they can damage bearing, journal and cylinder wall surfaces in the engine. The more dirt and other contaminants the filter can trap and hold, the better. When it comes to oil and a filter, don't risk your engine to anything less than what the manufacture specifies. Besides, it could void the warranty if still in effect."

Like what has already been said, most all places that sell filters will be able to cross ref your numbers to their brand. If they have made a replacement.

If there has ever been an engine manufacturer that spec a particular 'brand' filter, I have not seen such a thing. I have been around a lot of different engines and equipment publications for many decades and never have I read of a warranty issue using the appropriate cross reference to non OEM filter. I do not know where this idea came from originally but would like to see anything from a manufacturer or even a dealer stating that you must use OEM filters. KennyV