Help me choose a new self-propelled mower

rpearlberg

Threads
I have about a half acre, although not all of it is grass. Not flat, but not huge slopes either...

I currently have an old Toro that the previous home-owner left when we bought the house, the self-propel feature doesn't work, need new tires, new blade, etc...

I want to buy a new mower that will last a while, but would like to stay around $400. I will keep this in a shed, so weather shouldn't be a problem.

I'm looking to buy at Home Depot, most likely, and have been looking at the Honda for $399 or one of the comparable Toro's. Any suggestions, recommendations?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm looking to buy at Home Depot, most likely, and have been looking at the Honda for $399 or one of the comparable Toro's. Any suggestions, recommendations?

The $399 Honda is the most popular of their line-up. If you buy before Thursday, be sure to mail in the registration card and get an extra year of factory warranty.

The best way is to try a mower on your lawn. I do think most Home Depot's will allow you to return a mower if unhappy with it, but double-check before you plunk down your money.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have about a half acre, although not all of it is grass. Not flat, but not huge slopes either...

I currently have an old Toro that the previous home-owner left when we bought the house, the self-propel feature doesn't work, need new tires, new blade, etc...

I want to buy a new mower that will last a while, but would like to stay around $400. I will keep this in a shed, so weather shouldn't be a problem.

If it were me and I'm a Honda fan, but I personally would go with the Toro 22" Personal Pace Recycler. It's on sale for $359 and I think you would be a lot happier with it than the Honda. I bought that Honda and it has a 160cc GCV 4 hp engine and it doesn't do the job. I was so disappointed in the Honda I sold it for $200 just to get the thing out of my garage. The Toro has a 190cc Briggs and Stratton That will do everything you want and more.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ric is pointing you in the right direction, I would also go with the Toro.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric is pointing you in the right direction, I would also go with the Toro.

:eek: Oh my goodness, we agreed on something Rivets :laughing:. Don't get me wrong, I don't like Briggs and Stratton motors but I'd definitely take it over that 160cc GCV Honda.

The GCV 190 on my Cub Cadet 98H isn't that bad and does the job without problem but it considerably more money and if he wants to go that route I'd say go for it.

rpearlberg

Threads
If I could up my budget to around $500 would the suggestions be the same? I want one that is powerful enough and will last. I like that the Honda has two blades, and my father-in-law has a Toro mulcher that is 2-3 years old and he says it doesn't do a very good job anymore...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ric, don't get use to it, but we will agree seldomly. Honda makes a great engine for everything except lawn mowers. I have yet to find one that lives up to the Honda name. When they first came out I was excited, but my opinion is they fell flat on their face. Rpearl if you up the anti, I would look at the Toro SuperRecycler alloy deck. Toro still makes the best mulcher on the market. Have your father-in-law check his blade. Worn or dull blades will cause all kinds of problems. So will dirty decks.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I could up my budget to around $500 would the suggestions be the same? I want one that is powerful enough and will last. I like that the Honda has two blades, and my father-in-law has a Toro mulcher that is 2-3 years old and he says it doesn't do a very good job anymore...

If you're going to up the budget to $500 would my answer be the same, Yes because you're still playing in the same category of mower at $500. If your heart is set on Honda, the mower you would want would be the Honda HRX217HXA, it has everything you are looking for but the price tag is around $700.

That being said if you like that Honda at Home Depot for $399 you need to go and buy it, don't listen to my opinions, or Rivets opinions or anyone else 's opinions. You are the one paying for it not us and you may buy that mower, love that mower and it may do everything you want it to do and last you forever and nobody can tell you different.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric, don't get use to it, but we will agree seldomly. Honda makes a great engine for everything except lawn mowers. I have yet to find one that lives up to the Honda name. When they first came out I was excited, but my opinion is they fell flat on their face. Rpearl if you up the anti, I would look at the Toro SuperRecycler alloy deck. Toro still makes the best mulcher on the market. Have your father-in-law check his blade. Worn or dull blades will cause all kinds of problems. So will dirty decks.

Oh lord don't worry I'm not going to get used to it. Honda made the best mower engine on the market at one time but when they went to the GCV IMO the fell flat on there face. The problem with Honda at the present time as I see it is they went the same way as B&S, they cheapened there engine and started sticking them on ever mower in the world. I mean lets get real, buy a Troy Built, Toro, Lawnboy about every mower out there and you can buy them with a Honda engine. They've went quantity instead of sticking to themselves and making quality.
As far as Toro having the best mulching mower on the market, that's only in your dreams. Honda had and has the best mulching mower on the market bar none.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Toro Lawn Mower 6.75 hp - $75 (NPR)

Date: 2012-05-30, 8:52AM EDT
Reply to: 23jsw-3046294830@sale.craigslist.org
Toro 6.75hp,
Rear drive,
Pace controle,
New wheels rear,
Recycler mower

call 727-232-1882