John Deere LX176 Problem

JohnFeeser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I've been having problems with my JD LX176.

I will start it up and it will be running and cutting just fine and after a little while, (5-10 minutes) the engine starts to sputter and slows down, and if you don't slow down, it will stop.
Its not that it's hitting a thick patch of grass, it just all of a sudden starts struggling.

It seems that if I roll the throttle back and then open it back up, it gets the engine going momentarily, but then when you resume cutting, it acts up again. If I shut the blade off, it will come back up and idle normally, but when the blade is engaged, it won't run at full strength.

Any help or ideas as to what it could be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lawnranger

Threads
Many times the fuel tank cap vent is plugged which causes a vacuum to build in the tank. Next time it acts up simply loosen the tank cap enough to let some air in and see if the problem goes away. From what you describe, it sounds like fuel starvation and there are many reasons for that. Partially plugged main jet, clogged fuel filter, collapsing fuel line, old/bad fuel, etc. A clogged air filter would usually cause a rich condition but the symptom is very similar.

As you probably know, an engine needs the right amount of air, the right amount of fuel, compression and spark at the right time to operate properly so something is missing from the equation and you'll have to do a few checks to eliminate the most likely possible causes.

tractor_man16

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had the same problem. All i did was put a new belt on and it worked fine. Also it sounds like not enough air is getting to the tank.
hope this helps.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes check the fuel tank vent first. (start small). I have seen where coils get warm and act up.