conquest 50" deck adjustment

jebartuch

Forum Newbie
Threads
At the highest setting I get 3 inches of grass height when cutting. I would like to get closer to 4 inches. Has anyone ever thought about putting a 1 inch spacer and longer bolts on the brackets that hold the lawn rollers to the deck? Aviary Photo_131134295428368376.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Would that not lower the deck not raise it?

jebartuch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I haven't done it. My thoughts are, by placing a 1 inch spacer between the deck and the mounting brackets for the rollers I think it would raise the rollers. I'm just looking for a way to get a higher cut.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
By putting a one inch spacer there you lower the deck 1" to start with so you will have to raise the deck one inch just to get to where you started.

eli

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had similar issues with my 50" deck, could only get a cut of 2 3/4 ' max. Here is what I did to get a higher cut: You have to look at the front of the mower deck where the quick release bracket attaches to the deck itself, if there is excessive up and down movement (if it seems sloppy) you can rebuild it. Remove the 2 bolts and spacers that hold the bracket to the deck, you will probably notice that the spacer OD is worn, also the 3/8 ID that the bolt goes through will also be worn, then look at the bosses in the deck where the spacers fit into, they more than likely will be worn and over sized too. I bought two new spacers ($5.99 ea. ouch) and using my drill press drilled the 3/8 holes to 7/16. Next I drilled the 3/8 holes in the black quick release bracket to 7/16. Oh, you will have to buy a couple of 7/16 bolts and nuts too. I then sacrificed an old tape measure and cut a couple of 1/2 " wide strips to use as shim stock to wrap around the spacers to remove the sloppiness in the bosses where the spacers fit into. They now fit perfectly with no movement at all. I reassembled the unit using the new 7/16 bolts, attached the deck, adjusted the the front to back height a little using the adjusting rod to get the front of the center blade 1/4 " higher than the rear of the outside blades (per the owners manual). After doing all of this, my cutting height went from 2 3/4 " to 3 5/8 ". A little time consuming but worth it. I hope this helps.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I had similar issues with my 50" deck, could only get a cut of 2 3/4 ' max. Here is what I did to get a higher cut: You have to look at the front of the mower deck where the quick release bracket attaches to the deck itself, if there is excessive up and down movement (if it seems sloppy) you can rebuild it. Remove the 2 bolts and spacers that hold the bracket to the deck, you will probably notice that the spacer OD is worn, also the 3/8 ID that the bolt goes through will also be worn, then look at the bosses in the deck where the spacers fit into, they more than likely will be worn and over sized too. I bought two new spacers ($5.99 ea. ouch) and using my drill press drilled the 3/8 holes to 7/16. Next I drilled the 3/8 holes in the black quick release bracket to 7/16. Oh, you will have to buy a couple of 7/16 bolts and nuts too. I then sacrificed an old tape measure and cut a couple of 1/2 " wide strips to use as shim stock to wrap around the spacers to remove the sloppiness in the bosses where the spacers fit into. They now fit perfectly with no movement at all. I reassembled the unit using the new 7/16 bolts, attached the deck, adjusted the the front to back height a little using the adjusting rod to get the front of the center blade 1/4 " higher than the rear of the outside blades (per the owners manual). After doing all of this, my cutting height went from 2 3/4 " to 3 5/8 ". A little time consuming but worth it. I hope this helps.

Well done.
Two things you have to be wary of.
1) deck pulleys fouling on the underside of the mower
2) in order not to scalp on uneven ground the deck has to be able to float up a bit.