225 Problem

Bennyj

Threads
I have a 2008, 18.5 Briggs engine. Z225 Yesterday, it started blowing oil out the right hand side of the motor (no oil filter on this model). After about two yard cuts, the oil drain plug came loose. I cleaned the motor, could not see where the oil was coming from. On the third yard today, it blew the oil drain plastic plug out again, started smoking and cut off. I let it cool, filled it up with oil and cranked it back up. Any ideas or suggestions on why it is leaking oil out the right hand side, and eventually blowing the plug out??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like you may have a blown head gasket building with pressure in the crankcase. You can check this by starting the engine and removing the dip stick and resting the dip stick on top of the tube. If it bounces up and down, there is a 80% chanse that the gasket is blown.

Bennyj

Threads
I have a 2008, 18.5 Briggs engine. Z225 Yesterday, it started blowing oil out the right hand side of the motor (no oil filter on this model). After about two yard cuts, the oil drain plug came loose. I cleaned the motor, could not see where the oil was coming from. On the third yard today, it blew the oil drain plastic plug out again, started smoking and cut off. I let it cool, filled it up with oil and cranked it back up. Any ideas or suggestions on why it is leaking oil out the right hand side, and eventually blowing the plug out??

Just checked, oil is coming from the bottom of my fuel pump, will replacing the pump fix this?

Bennyj

Threads
Rivets, just went outside and loosened the oil filler cap. When the engine spun over. , it pushed the tube up real high?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do my previous post first. The fuel pump is also connected to the crankcase.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would suspect a bad head gasket and start by replacing it. If you don't have any experience working with an over head valve system, I would take it to a good mechanic. If you try to do this yourself and make a mistake, it may cost big $$$$.

Bennyj

Threads
Thanks for your help, I will carry it to somebody, I have auto experience, but very little small engine. Do you have a rough idea of a range this repair should run.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
An experienced mechanic should be able to do it in 1.5-2 hr. I have done too many of them and if I can stay at it, I can get it done in about 1.25 hr. You can save money by removing the hood and anything else that may be in the way. If you have a cylinder leak down tester, do a leak down test to confirm problem. If you don't have one and can't borrow one, find a mechanic with one. He will be able to confirm the problem. Blown gasket may not be the problem and then you won't have to pull the head. Also, have the mechanic check the valves when he has the head off. It may cost a bit more, but a great time to get them back to good condition. Just a suggestion.