Zero Turn lacks Power.

jwease

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the Consumer Z bought in 2004. 50" 20hp. Over the last couple of years it has lost its oomph. Especially on even the slightest grade. I have changed the hydro fluid and filter twice since new. The engine tuned up. Nothing has helped. The dealer that did the work on it suggested that I buy a new Ferris from him because the Simplicity just isn't as capable. It worked fine for the 1st 4 years. I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem and if so what was the fix? Another symptom of my problem is when staring from a stop the wheels will stutter, for lack of a better term, as if they were slipping. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

noma

Threads
Jwease

Just wondering if you engine pull down or loose power when mowing in heavier grass if you go slow and you notice it, if not it sound like your engines good, probability your hydro that's getting weak . When you go in forward speed real fast do it take right off or hesitate a little while be it go.If you move the lever back and forth does it move back and forth good or does it take a few seconds to react to what you are doing?Could there be a screen under the filter or somthing? Right oil and filter maybe? Just ideas. good luck

jwease

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the ideas. The engine never bogs down. It does hesitate when going forward from a stop. My worst fear is that it may be a problem with the hydro pump or wheel motor. Big money to replace. Just looking for alternate, hopefully cheaper fixes.

John

jdhone

Forum Newbie
Threads
After learning of your loss of power issue I have to wonder if I made the wrong choice in machines.
I just purchased a 2012 Citation and haven't used it yet. I'm in northern Indiana and minor snow is on the gound...I won't be able to actually KNOW what I have until Spring.

I opted for Briggs & Stratton's new "cyclonic" designed engine over the Kawasaki. Just hoping it isn't going to give me the same problems as YOU are experiencing after four years in service. Does anyone know anything about these cyclonic engines or are they too new/untested to know yet?

jdh

Sammy the Red

Threads
Jwease, Check for worn belts & pulley. Also make sure tension springs are doing their job.

Clean all dead grass and dirt from hydros.

Sammy the Red

Threads
I just purchased a 2012 Citation and haven't used it yet. ..........

I opted for Briggs & Stratton's new "cyclonic" designed engine over the Kawasaki. ........

I think the Cyclonic engine has only been out for about a year. Don't know what engine it is based on, but, the Cyclonic part of it seems to be their new air filtration system.

Threads
belts are a good possibility if they ride to deep inside the pully they wont move or movement is very limited and also check the idler puley bearings and pulley tenison