Ignition switch problem

corrod

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would like to straight wire the ignition switch on my 1999 craftsman lawn tractor because it's dead and the engine will not turn over. Ive checked the starter and solenoid and both are ok. Can anyone tell me how to do this? This mower has a "cluster" of wires on a receptical that plugs to the switch.

Thanks,

Ken :confused2:

Lawnranger

Threads
I would recommend that you keep the system the way the factory engineers designed and built it to operate. Since you say it's "dead", why not try to diagnose the problem and fix it? Start with a voltage check on the battery. What is the battery voltage? Is voltage getting to the small wire on the solenoid when you turn the key to the start position? Does the engine crank when you jump the two large wires on the solenoid? Perform these checks and report back with your findings. Many times the problem is a safety switch but start with the basics and find out what factor is missing from the equation.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with the lawn ranger, trying to bypass in the electrical circuit is asking for problems down the road. Many times it will be just a dirty or misaligned safety switch that is causing the trouble.

corrod

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to both the Lawn Ranger and Revets. I appreciate the input from you both! I think with your advice I will do further checking! Still have the problem as of 5:00 Pm local EDT... :smile:

Ken Riddle
South Carolina

Lawnranger

Threads
Thanks to both the Lawn Ranger and Revets. I appreciate the input from you both! I think with your advice I will do further checking! Still have the problem as of 5:00 Pm local EDT... :smile:

Ken Riddle
South Carolina

Please let us know what you find. I asked you a few questions in my previous post and your answers will help determine where we go from there.

corrod

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lawn Ranger and Revets,
Well I am embarrassed to report back what the problem was with my "no crank" condition!" But oh well, live and learn as the saying goes. After checking all the other possible problems with my Craftsman mower, Being really hot and aggravated it all boiled down to a fuse I had overlooked! Replaced the 15 amp fuse and it started right up. However, I did learn during this experience how to troubleshoot the ignition system on my 14.5 HP Briggs and Straton engine. Thanks again for your help with suggestions.

:laughing:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you do this as often as we do, you will know that we have all done that at least a dozen times, and we are supposed to know what we're doing. Glad you solved it.

Lawnranger

Threads
Yep, we've all been there. I have one more question for you - why did that fuse blow? I'm not trying to open a can of worms but your replacement fuse could blow at any time and you will be right back where you were trying to find out why your mower won't start. Typically, fuses don't just "blow" by themselves. Fuses are designed to protect the wire harness and electrical components from excessive current flow which can cause excessive heat and eventually fire. Look carefully at the fuse and see if it is burned or just has a hairline crack due to vibration. If it burned, there is a reason it burned and it may be intermittent short to ground or a failing electrical component. I sincerely hope your mower problem is fixed.

corrod

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lawn Ranger,
Didn't see any signs of heat or burn. The lawn tractor is 13 years old and I hope the fuse failure was just fatigue and vibration from use. I bought the Craftsman New in early 2000 and other than 3 batteries, blade replacement, oil and filter changes, that's the only problem I've had. It is a 42" cut and I have been well pleased with the service I have gotten from the machine. Again thanks for the help and input you gave me on this problem. I'm still,

Riding the range,
Corrod