gas spitting out carb

wrx603

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello, so I have (what I believe to have) 1999 Murray with the 16.5 vtwin. I was told it ran fine last year, and just picked it up it needs a few things.

When I go to crank it over, (I have the hood, and air filter off mind you) it shoots a well atomized ploom of fuel straight out of the carb. Would that be a stuck float?

I had to replace the starter and my immediate reaction was " They gave me one that spins backwards!" -but I don't think thats the case....

wrx603

Forum Newbie
Threads
any ideas? its pretty bizarre...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Either as leaking needle valve or intake valve stuck open.

wrx603

Forum Newbie
Threads
so starting pulling everything apart? oh dear...i dont even want to take the flywheel off....

wrx603

Forum Newbie
Threads
oh yeah, idk what i was thinking....haha well good should be a little easier...

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Time for carb cleaning . Very easy to do . Many you tube videos out there to watch. .

wrx603

Forum Newbie
Threads
Time for carb cleaning . Very easy to do . Many you tube videos out there to watch. .

you think that could be it? its a v twin, and the more i think about it a stuck intake valve could be it...because it is a spray, nothing, spray, nothing...its not leaking out, its a perfect atomized ploom of gas....kinda scary...

Im sure the carb could use a cleaning and it will get done soon. The origianl owner said I should change the oil soon, so I'm thinking old gunky oil, sat outside for a nice new england winter...gumed up, stuck valve?

gohstboy25

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys. So im pretty new to this whole small engine stuff and i'm currently taking a small engines class at my school. the engine i brought in ran when i brought it and i took it all apart and reassembled it. and when i got it all put back together i went to pull it to start it, it was not drawing fuel into the well, so i thought maybe the gasket was not sealing properly so i bought a new gasket for it and was still having the same problem. so then i went and bought a whole new carb and it fixed the problem of not drawing fuel into the well, but now when i pull the rope i get a big shot of pure liquid fuel that is not atomized that shoots out the top. so now im kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. i need to get this mower running at peak preformance because it is the only mower i have. i would really appricate it if somebody would be able to help me out with some info on how to go about fixing this problem.

Thankyou all. have a great day!!!!

chance123

Threads
hello, so I have (what I believe to have) 1999 Murray with the 16.5 vtwin. I was told it ran fine last year, and just picked it up it needs a few things.

When I go to crank it over, (I have the hood, and air filter off mind you) it shoots a well atomized ploom of fuel straight out of the carb. Would that be a stuck float?

I had to replace the starter and my immediate reaction was " They gave me one that spins backwards!" -but I don't think thats the case....

Check your compression on both cylinders