Drive disc slows under load

shnaig

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Snapper 21" self-propelled mower. I changed the drive belt about 4 months ago and it's been working fine. All of the sudden the drive disc seem s to slipping under any kind of load including higher speeds (positions 4,5 &6). The belt doesn't seem to be worn and there's no obvious way to adjust the tension. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Snapperfreak

Threads
i can think of a few things to check. make sure bot the springs that attach to the drive system are in place and in good shape. there's the vertical spring that holds the drive wheel down to the drive disc and then there's the horizontal spring that holds that smaller idler pulley tight to the drive belt. easier to see if chute is off.

maybe check that the 9/16" nut that attaches the drive disc to deck is tight (under deck)

the cable that goes from the drive engage lever on handle to spring down by drive system can be tightened too. disconnect cable at spring and twist bottom of spring like you're tightening a nut and bolt. it will put more tension on belt when u engage system.

i'm no expert, i don't know if any of that will help u, but i thought i'd try.

shnaig

Forum Newbie
Threads
All the springs were replaced and everything is tight. The drive disc itself slows down under load which implies slippage between the disc and drive belt.

LeonardVinson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry I can't help, but I'm just curious if your drive is the slim all rubber disk, or the metal wheel surrounded by rubber.

I've only just become aware of this difference, & apparently the latter is cheaper to maintain.

shnaig

Forum Newbie
Threads
Metal wheel with rubber ring.