Poulan Pro 300 EX Correct Transmission Shifting Method

Blade Runner

Threads
  • / Poulan Pro 300 EX Correct Transmission Shifting Method
I recently purchased a used Poulan Pro 300 EX Model no. PB18542LT Product no. 960420088 with a Briggs 18.5 HP and a 42" cut. It was bought new no more than several years ago. I can not find an owners manual that covers my mowers specific product no. yet.

The transmission has 6 (six) forward gears and 1 (one) reverse gear. I need to know the correct transmission shifting method for it. It can go into gear with or without pressing down on the clutch pedal but I want the trans. to last as long as possible. While moving forward, should I engage the clutch before shifting into each gear or should I shift into a new gear without engaging the clutch? Thanks for any information.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to push the clutch and stop before changing gears. Shifting on the go will damage the shift keys in the tranny leading to breakage and slipping of the key in the gear.

Blade Runner

Threads
Thanks Ilengine. When I brought it home, I only shifted without the clutch a few times when I was testing it. We have mowed the yard only once so far with it, and my wife beat me to it. Luckily, she engaged the clutch before each shift.