no power in forward lots in reverse

jgood

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone

Been a member for a while just have not posted. I own a craftsman 42 inch rider with a 22hp briggs. The model number is 917.276601 and it has the automatic tranny. When I put into reverse I have lots of power and speed , but in forward I loose power and have no speed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked the following? Belt condition, belt routing, and belt tension. Anyone of these could be causing the problem.

jgood

Forum Newbie
Threads
No I haven't checked the belt but I will today. This may be two separate issues but the engine falter and almost die then takes off again.

wildbill

Threads
I serviced one similar condition a couple weeks ago. Grass had packed between the plate where the "brake-clutch" pedal has to reach full travel when you release it in the 'go' position and the pedal stop arm. So, this packed grass was not allowing the pedal to be completely released which meant the drive belt was not being fully tensioned.

I was sure the main drive belt was just worn causing the problem, but not. I had never seen such a problem, but when you think you have seen 'em all................. It took a while to dig out this packed grass, could barely get to it. Hey, this is caused by mowing wet grass, and the owner admitted he always mowed early a.m. I'm just saying.........

jgood

Forum Newbie
Threads
i REPLACED THE DRIVE BELT AND CLEANED THE AREA BY THE PLATE OUT. This solved the problem, works like new. Thanks for all your help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Congratulations.