JD question

donden

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a logical reason that the front deck wheels on my JD z445 don't pivot? Turning tight on a very slight grade variation results in those ugly little trenches that seem to take all summer to heal. My old
JD 345 tractor didn't do this so I assume there is a valid reason for the rigid mounting on the zero turn.
Thank you
Donden

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the John Deere Forum. :smile:

mac

Threads
I currently have 3 JD mowers and 2 of them have Anti-scalp wheels on the front of the deck. Neither of them pivot. In fact, none of the JD mower decks I have ever had, were equiped with pivoting Gauge wheels. Those wheels aren't supposed to be in contact with the ground accept to avoid scalping the lawn. Except for 1 JD push mower, I've never had ANY mower or mower deck that had pivoting gauge wheels.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As Mac said the deck (anti-scalp) wheels are not to be in contact with the ground dmuring mowing. Adjust the wheel once you have set you mowing height to about 1/2" off the ground. This will keep you from wearing out the wheels and give you a better looking lawn.

donden

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's what I do. Unfortunately when I make a tight turn at the end of the row the wheels will dig in the ground if there is a variation from level. Raising the deck to avoid this is not only tiresome but results in a no-cut turn. With all the "brains & ingenuity" in an industry as competitive as this one it seems that this could be solved. I have changed my cutting pattern do avoid some of this but it still happens.:confused2:
Thanks
DD

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What does your JD dealer say? I have never heard of this problem when the deck is setup properly.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just a thought, but what is the air pressure of your tires. A low tire will cause what you are seeing.

Parkmower

Threads
donden said:
Is there a logical reason that the front deck wheels on my JD z445 don't pivot? Turning tight on a very slight grade variation results in those ugly little trenches that seem to take all summer to heal. My old
JD 345 tractor didn't do this so I assume there is a valid reason for the rigid mounting on the zero turn.
Thank you
Donden

Edit sorry

donden

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tire pressure was the first thing my dealer said to check. It was OK. I didn't have this problem with my old 345 tractor. Of course the 345 doesn't have the tight turn capability so I figured that it was this "advantage" that was the problem. I know of one other Z owner who actually knocked the gage wheel off on his (unless I was getting B.S. on it). I will be getting some tune up work on my back soon and won't be able to ride a mower for a while so I will get with the "expert" I hired to mow while I heal up.
Thanks to all who answered.
DD:thumbsup: