Walk behind Troy-Bilt won't stay running

troy-boy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy-Bilt self-propelled 21" walk behind lawn mower (model #12AV566N711183621). It has auto-choke and is self priming. It was purshased new, used two or three times, and then stored in a shed for 2-3 years. I took it out of the shed, pulled the cord three times, and it fired right up. I emptied the gas, changed the oil, and tried to cut my lawn. The mower will start and idle but thats it. It won't rev up enough to cut the grass. I changed the spark plug (looked fouled) and tried it again but same thing. I try to cut the grass and the mower boggs down and dies. Any ideas? I think it may have to do with the auto choke but I'm not sure. Thank you. (It has a briggs and straton 6.75 HP motor)

Mac 624

Threads
For normal the Briggs engines are kind of goofproved.

Guess Your prob is carburettor related.

Ross

Threads
Double check and make sure everything is clean and blown own out. The carb especially. Having set for 2-3 years will gum things up a bit.

jhwentworth

Threads
I have a Troy-Bilt self-propelled 21" walk behind lawn mower (model #12AV566N711183621). It has auto-choke and is self priming. It was purshased new, used two or three times, and then stored in a shed for 2-3 years. I took it out of the shed, pulled the cord three times, and it fired right up. I emptied the gas, changed the oil, and tried to cut my lawn. The mower will start and idle but thats it. It won't rev up enough to cut the grass. I changed the spark plug (looked fouled) and tried it again but same thing. I try to cut the grass and the mower boggs down and dies. Any ideas? I think it may have to do with the auto choke but I'm not sure. Thank you. (It has a briggs and straton 6.75 HP motor)

First, I have a suggestion on posting a repair question in the General Mower Discussion: use the Small Engine & Mower Repair discussion. I think that most of the people who could help you read that section.

To recap your question: After sitting for a couple years you started the motor and it ran normally at full speed (about 3000 rpm). You then emptied the fuel tank, replaced the fuel from a fresh supply of clean gas, changed the oil, and replaced the spark plug. At that point the engine will start but not rev up to full speed. Does that sound right?
A couple possibilities:
1. When you changed the oil you tipped the motor to drain and oil saturated the air filter.
2. The governor/throttle linkage is damaged or disconnected. Follow the linkage back from the carb throttle plate. Is the throttle plate fully open? If you move the governor shaft does the engine speed increase and decrease? (by any chance did you use compressed air to clean the engine?)

jhwentworth

Threads
Just one more thought; if you're going to come here and and ask for help it might be best to respond to the suggestions you get. I know, for myself, that if I get no response to my suggestions for solving your problem I am little inclined to help you again. Understand this: my lawnmower runs just fine, yours doesn't. You need help, I don't.

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Too many people here do this: pose a question and never follow up.

Chopper Bob

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Troy-Bilt is doing the exact thing mentioned above.

I cleaned/changed the air filter.

Took carb off and sprayed it out with cleaner including the bowl and float.

I changed the fuel and cleaned out the fuel lines.

When idling low, I can reach down and move the "idler arm" and it runs full open as advertised. After I release it, it idles back down.

The arm that I'm referring to goes from the carb into the main engine assembly.

Ideas?

Any help would be appreciated and I will reply. Ha!

Thanks.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
You mean the carb engine is fighting for air and the governor rod is opening and shutting and it still stalls ?

Chopper Bob

Forum Newbie
Threads
The "governor rod" seems to be hooked as it should.

If I manually move it, the mower revs up as it should.

When I release it, the rod moves back and the mower idles back down very low.

All the springs seem to be where they should on and around the carb.