Toro Tecumseh hard to start, runs about a minute then slows and stalls

agejams

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Tecumseh hard to start, runs about a minute then slows and stalls
I have a 2008 Toro personal pace rear whl drv. with a 6.5 hp Tecumseh . Replaced everything in the carburator incl. the primer bulb but it still won't start unless you spray starting fluid or gas in the cylinder. Once it starts it runs for about a minute then very slowly loses rpm and then stalls. However, if you manually hold the throttle all the way open so the engine runs faster for about 3 minutes then it will run just fine until the cows come home. You can shut it off empty the bag refill the tank, whatever, and it will start right up and run normally until the next time. Once it's cold, same thing all over again. Is there anything besides the carburator that could cause that? The gas cap breather is fine, fuel ines are clean and unobstructed. Needle and seat replaced twice.

LiamMulloy

Forum Newbie
Threads
1. Clean the carb, all the little holes.
2. Run some sea fome though it
3. Replace the gasket between the carb and primer buld, this happend to me, a craftsman with a brigs last summer. Did that and it all ran fine. Just dont losse the govener spring like I did. :)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Around the primer bulb, is it metal or plastic? Should be metal. When you replaced the primer, you have to make sure that it is seated properly or it will not prime right and you will get an air leak which won't go away until the engine warms up. Look into the air horn and push the primer, do you see gas squirting up out of the nozzle?

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Toro/Wheelhorse forum. :smile:

Firebird2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a toro 20039 personal pace rough running and a whooping sound, I found the flywheel key sheared(fixed), A hole in the head gasket (fixed), cleaned carb, starts but stalls and is hard starting very frustrating, come to find out the wrong primer bulb was replaced with a solid bulb and not the correct one with a hole in it p/n 694395 used on non adjustable carbs, it now starts on the first pull ?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a toro 20039 personal pace rough running and a whooping sound, I found the flywheel key sheared(fixed), A hole in the head gasket (fixed), cleaned carb, starts but stalls and is hard starting very frustrating, come to find out the wrong primer bulb was replaced with a solid bulb and not the correct one with a hole in it p/n 694395 used on non adjustable carbs, it now starts on the first pull 

Did you notice this thread is from 2012?