LGT 14 HP Gas Tank Replacement?

DaveTN

Threads
Looking for a replacement gas tank on a FORD, LGT series, 14 HP with the Kohler cast iron engine. Tank straddles the engine and my friend has dobbed it up with epoxy type material and it looks like melted candle wax all over it but still leaks. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

DaveTN

Threads
Looking for a replacement gas tank on a FORD, LGT series, 14 HP with the Kohler cast iron engine. Tank straddles the engine and my friend has dobbed it up with epoxy type material and it looks like melted candle wax all over it but still leaks. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

My friend managed to dob it up once again and stopped the leak. As I mentioned in a previous post that this mower would start well, idle good and governor worked good, but after about 15 minutes mowing it would suddenly sputter, and stall and nearly die. You had to disengage the blades and could barely idle back to the garage on nearly full choke. I took the float bowl off yesterday and found it slowly dripping gas, not flowing as it should. Problem was the "L-Shaped" connector between the fuel line and the carburetor. It evidently had some dirt or some foreign material causing the carburetor to starve for gas when it got wedged into place. After using a wire and carburetor cleaner I got the gas flowing and the engine ran fine.

DaveTN

Threads
My friend managed to dob it up once again and stopped the leak. As I mentioned in a previous post that this mower would start well, idle good and governor worked good, but after about 15 minutes mowing it would suddenly sputter, and stall and nearly die. You had to disengage the blades and could barely idle back to the garage on nearly full choke. I took the float bowl off yesterday and found it slowly dripping gas, not flowing as it should. Problem was the "L-Shaped" connector between the fuel line and the carburetor. It evidently had some dirt or some foreign material causing the carburetor to starve for gas when it got wedged into place. After using a wire and carburetor cleaner I got the gas flowing and the engine ran fine.

Update: It wasn't JUST that "L" shaped connector, but sediments coming from the old tank. As long as the mower sat still it ran great, good flow from the tank etc. But when you bounced around on it, the vibrations would stir up the sediment, trash, rust, etc. and CLOG the fuel going to the carburetor. Result: Fuel Starvation! That's why the engine could barely get back in on 3/4 choke. Now that the problem is solved, the mower will start when hot WITHOUT the choke on, where before it had to be on due to low fuel in carburetor. Also I found out the other day that the IN TANK FUEL SCREEN was MISSING!! No wonder the line got clogged or blocked. We're now using a make-shift tank at present so the yard can be mowed. Just because you get FLOW from the tank doesn't mean you will ALWAYS have the flow at all times.

Bill McDonald

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update: It wasn't JUST that "L" shaped connector, but sediments coming from the old tank. As long as the mower sat still it ran great, good flow from the tank etc. But when you bounced around on it, the vibrations would stir up the sediment, trash, rust, etc. and CLOG the fuel going to the carburetor. Result: Fuel Starvation! That's why the engine could barely get back in on 3/4 choke. Now that the problem is solved, the mower will start when hot WITHOUT the choke on, where before it had to be on due to low fuel in carburetor. Also I found out the other day that the IN TANK FUEL SCREEN was MISSING!! No wonder the line got clogged or blocked. We're now using a make-shift tank at present so the yard can be mowed. Just because you get FLOW from the tank doesn't mean you will ALWAYS have the flow at all times.

I have had the exact same problem except that my tank is too corroded to use or repair. Does anyone know I can get a replacement fuel tank for a 1971 Ford LGT 145 Lawn & Garden tractor?