Any John Deere 68 owners out there?

oldyellr

Threads
I own a John Deere Model 68 rear engine riding mower. I think it's at least 30 years old and parts aren't available anymore, unless they're also on later models or later parts can be substituted. This has 2 blades with a total 34" cut, ideal for a 1/2 acre lot. Mowers this size are rare these days because there's virtually nothing between push mowers and 42" lawn tractors. Anyway, I'd like to hear from anyone familiar with this machine and any maintenance tips you may have.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I own a John Deere Model 68 rear engine riding mower. I think it's at least 30 years old and parts aren't available anymore, unless they're also on later models or later parts can be substituted. This has 2 blades with a total 34" cut, ideal for a 1/2 acre lot. Mowers this size are rare these days because there's virtually nothing between push mowers and 42" lawn tractors. Anyway, I'd like to hear from anyone familiar with this machine and any maintenance tips you may have.

Just what parts do you need? I have one that I have been running over 30 years. In that time I installed a short block, 8 HP Briggs because of oil burning. I have found that some parts aren't available but not all, just check with your John Deere dealer. This pass fall I had to reweld some brackets on the deck and installed a used carburetor which I bought at a salvage yard. I couldn't get a clutch idler pulley from the JD dealer but matched one up at a mower repair shop. I find I can get parts somehow. The old girl is getting a little loose jointed but still mows a haft acre of rough lawn with a lot of rocks every summer.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Drain and refil the transmission gear box... fun little mowers and will last almost forever...
The smaller JD RER's used a lot of common parts... there were many things from them in the Electric 90 .... that was also 32 inch deck, but everything was electric & looked like all the other RER's... :smile:KennyV

oldyellr

Threads
Just what parts do you need? I have one that I have been running over 30 years. In that time I installed a short block, 8 HP Briggs because of oil burning. I have found that some parts aren't available but not all, just check with your John Deere dealer.
I don't need any right now. I used to be able to check on-line through a JD website what parts my local dealer and others in the area had in stock, but that's changed now. I replaced a tie-rod and an idler pulley since I've had it. I also got a replacement Magnetron coil from a local repair shop when it died and I discovered it had no points. Only other problem was the right rear axle flange broke off because of a crappy weld, which I re-welded.

Drain and refil the transmission gear box... fun little mowers and will last almost forever...

Now that's one thing I hate on this machine, the transmission. It's extremely awkward to shift, feels like there's a lot of backleash and I can't feel any detents for all but 3rd and 4th gear. Do you suppose changing the transmission oil would help? Also, I can't set the parking brake because the notch in the brake pedal doesn't seem to line up, so can't be engaged.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't need any right now. I used to be able to check on-line through a JD website what parts my local dealer and others in the area had in stock, but that's changed now. I replaced a tie-rod and an idler pulley since I've had it. I also got a replacement Magnetron coil from a local repair shop when it died and I discovered it had no points. Only other problem was the right rear axle flange broke off because of a crappy weld, which I re-welded.

Oh yes I have changed tie rods and the right axle years ago when they came out with a different style axle. As far as the transmission gos I have never had a problem The oil change does sound like a good idea. The only thing I have ever a problem with the transmission is when I am mowing it will be a little to get into reverse sometimes and it has been that way ever since I have had the mower. The detents works good in all gears on mine.

jenkinsph

Threads
My dad had a pair of 68 mowers years ago, spent a many an hour on those RER's. We had to keep about five acres of St. Augustine grass mowed and used these for several years. I thought we had a much narrower deck though and it took some time to cover that lawn.

oldyellr

Threads
The Model 68 came came with either a single blade 30" deck or a double blade 34". Mine is the 34" and I allow about an hour to mow the back and front yards of my 1/2 acre lot. I use a 30" single blade Honda RER every other time and there really isn't much difference in the time it takes because the Honda turns tighter, requiring less back-and-forth.

twinfords

Threads
i am supposed to get this one tonight. we will see.

johndeere68_2.jpg

twinfords

Threads
i made the deal on the 68, cleaned her up a little last night. runs and cuts. fast little thing.

oldyellr

Threads
Good stuff! They're great little machines and will last forever. What you can't replace you can fix with a hammer or welder. It looks like the shifter knob is missing. I don't see that you can buy that anymore, but you should replace it with something or you'll wear a hole in your hand. Those are awkward shifting gearboxes.