Help With Steering

Berniebac

Threads
I have searched the forum for any instructions on dis-assembly of steering components but have not found what I need. I hope this is the correct place to post this question.

My steering is seized pretty good. I have worked it loose so that the kingpin assemblies are moving, but I would really like to pull these, clean and lube them and reinstall. I cannot get them to come out of the rocker bar assembly. I have removed the e-clips and I can't see any pins that hold them in. I tried driving them down with a hammer and there is no movement.

If you look at the attached diagrams. I want to drop part number 40 and 41 (king pin assemblies) down out of part number 34 (rocker bar assemblies).

Is there a trick to getting these out? Am I missing a pin that holds them on?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Steering Parts Dia.jpg
    Steering Parts Dia.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Steering Parts List.jpg
    Steering Parts List.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 4

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Once you remove part 24 on left side and part 17 on both sides they should just fall out. Spray some bp blaster or just drip some oil down the shaft and move both shafts like you was turning all the way left then right. It is really not good to bang on them with a hammer but if you must then hit them down low right at the bend if you hit the top your not going to get part 17 back on

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Berniebac

Threads
Thank you for that information, that is exactly what I thought. I pulled part 17 and tried to pull strait down but it would not move downward. I have sprayed with some Innox lubricant and will let that work it's way in overnight and try again tomorrow. These were frozen in pretty solid so it might just be a tight fit from corrosion. I worked them side to side and they did loosen quite a bit but still too tight for steering wheel to turn.

I did not hit part 41 directly, I cushioned it a bit with a piece of wood and gave it a couple raps with the hammer. Hopefully no damage as a result.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

Berniebac

Threads
Re: Help With Steering (Problem partly solved)

I got the left side off. Left it to soak overnight and simply pulled down on part 41. It took some force but I pulled it off. Once I got it off I found a couple nylon or plastic bushings had been placed inside of the rocker bar assembly (part 34). These do not show on my parts diagram and I suspect someone added them to take up slack in the fit that may have developed over the years.

Not sure if I should put them back or not. Too tight to steer. If I could find thinner ones I might be better off.

Any suggestions?

fastback

Threads
Once everything is cleaned up real good you could try to reassemble with and without the bushings and check for fit. It is possible that they were added, but at the same time they are commonly used
on many brands of tractors.

Berniebac

Threads
Once everything is cleaned up real good you could try to reassemble with and without the bushings and check for fit. It is possible that they were added, but at the same time they are commonly used
on many brands of tractors.

Thank you for letting me know that. There seems to be a lot of play without the bushings. It would be nice if I could find some just a bit thinner to allow the steering a little more freedom. I will clean and reassemble both ways as you suggest.