Cub Cadet 48" Enforcer Cutting Out on Bumpy Yard

Steelfab66

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new to the forum. Hope I can get some help with this problem. I have a 48" Enforcer commercial zero turn that I bought new in 2007. (I think the Enforcer evolved into the Z-force commercial at some point.) My yard is especially bumpy this year and my machine has been cutting out following about 10 bouncy passes about 75 feet long. I've tracked what I think is the problem to the electrical plug moving slightly out of the safety switch that's on the back of the seat. It apparently comes out just enough to cut out the blades and engine. It cuts on and off a couple of times just before totally quitting. Removing the plug and reattaching it allows the mower to restart and it's good for another 10 passes or so and then it cuts out again. Reinstalling the plug gets it going again. The plug has some "ears" on it but no sign of positive attachment to the switch. Could the attachment clip or whatever holds the plug in have broken? My owners manual doesn't go into any detail of how this plug looks and the Cub Cadet tech line guy said he had nothing that shows this plug. And of course to get the plug you have to buy the entire harness for the machine. Anybody out there ever experience this problem? The mower has run flawlessly until this problem developed.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like you're describing the seat safety switch, if so that's an easy fix. On the Z Force that plug is on the bottom of the seat, so are we talking about the same.

Steelfab66

Forum Newbie
Threads
It sounds like you're describing the seat safety switch, if so that's an easy fix. On the Z Force that plug is on the bottom of the seat, so are we talking about the same.

Yes, that's the switch. Do you know if the plug from the harness that goes into that switch is supposed to have a clip or something on it to keep it from working itself out of the switch?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, that's the switch. Do you know if the plug from the harness that goes into that switch is supposed to have a clip or something on it to keep it from working itself out of the switch?

Yes it should have a clip on the side you pull out. The clip is supposed to hold it in place. The easy fix is just to bypass the switch with a jumper wire. Only draw back is the blades and mower will keep running when you get off the seat.
If your Enforcer doesn't mow in reverse you can do the same with the lap bars. It just takes some male disconnects and a small piece of wire.

Steelfab66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it should have a clip on the side you pull out. The clip is supposed to hold it in place. The easy fix is just to bypass the switch with a jumper wire. Only draw back is the blades and mower will keep running when you get off the seat.
If your Enforcer doesn't mow in reverse you can do the same with the lap bars. It just takes some male disconnects and a small piece of wire.

Thanks for the tip. I did remove the safety switch and noticed 2 small factory notches in it through which I slid a narrow wire tie (1/8"). I then inserted the plug and brought the wire tire up around the plug and locked it. The mower started right up and the PTO engaged the blades so I think I'm good to go for now. I wonder if these notches were for a clip on the plug that has since disappeared. I will try to post a picture of how this looks in an effort to show others who have this problem happen how it can be fixed. First I want to make sure it stays put when I mow. I've got to roll my yard. It's crazy how bumpy it got over the winter.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the tip. I did remove the safety switch and noticed 2 small factory notches in it through which I slid a narrow wire tie (1/8"). I then inserted the plug and brought the wire tire up around the plug and locked it. The mower started right up and the PTO engaged the blades so I think I'm good to go for now. I wonder if these notches were for a clip on the plug that has since disappeared. I will try to post a picture of how this looks in an effort to show others who have this problem happen how it can be fixed. First I want to make sure it stays put when I mow. I've got to roll my yard. It's crazy how bumpy it got over the winter.

The way I'm reading this it sounds like you plugged it back into the switch if so you don't need to do that. Just use the jumper wire and forget plugging it back into the switch. Doing that or plugging it back into the switch could cause a short. Two male disconnects and a short piece of wire, they should plug right in and if you want wrap the plug with some electric tape.

007.jpg009.jpg

Last edited: