Clutch brake disc going bad. Replacement options?

mage182

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a HRM215 mower off of CraigsList last year. I did a full tuneup on it. Put a new self propel belt on and adjusted all cables to spec. The mower now works great except for when I get into areas of grass that are thick or wet when I notice the blade will slow down. I checked the blade clutch cable twice to make sure it's adjusted right with no change.

I'll assume the blade clutch disc needs to be changed. How do I know what parts I need off this list to replace any that are worn?

All Years HRM215 SXA LAWN MOWER, USA Honda Lawnmower ROTARY BLADE Diagram and Parts

I was looking for a service manual but the only one I can find is $35 off eBay.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
On the back of the mower deck is a serial number, in the form of MXXX-1234567. If you'll share that with me, I can look up specific service information for this exact mower.

There were some service bulletins related to the travel speed on some of these models. When I get the number, I'll share everything I can find our for you.

The paper Honda Shop Manuals sold on eBay are from Honda direct. They are provided with no shipping, and free updates for three years direct from Honda. The shop manual is a great resource for DIY.

mage182

Forum Newbie
Threads
MZBB 6068205 SXA

Thanks for the help.

Honda sells those books direct on eBay? All I saw was a used one. Do you have a link?

On the back of the mower deck is a serial number, in the form of MXXX-1234567. If you'll share that with me, I can look up specific service information for this exact mower.

There were some service bulletins related to the travel speed on some of these models. When I get the number, I'll share everything I can find our for you.

The paper Honda Shop Manuals sold on eBay are from Honda direct. They are provided with no shipping, and free updates for three years direct from Honda. The shop manual is a great resource for DIY.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have a link?

Here's a link:

HRM215 Shop Manual on eBay

Now about the slow down problem. Just to be sure, is the engine and blade slowing down, or just the the blade?

With the blade engaged, the engine should be spinning at 3,150~3,300 rpm. At idle, with the blade stopped, the engine should be at 2,100 /- 150 rpm. If you can get a tach and measure these, we can know for sure what to check next.

There were three Service Bulletins issued for drive-related problems with some of these models. Either the mower would stop self-propel (worn drive pulley), the drive clutch cable might break (improved bend in cable tip), the drive clutch would slip (weak weld in clutch lever). But, none of these would be part of a slow-down of the engine or blade.

mage182

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the link. If I need to do any work I'll consider buying it if you think it's necessary.

When I push the level to start the blade, the engine strains a little and returns to normal, and it takes a good 5 seconds until I hear the blade spin up.

While I'm mowing over wet grass or grass that is say 6+", the blade will slow but the engine remains constant. If I back the mower off that spot the blade will spin back up.

I'll test with the tach tonight.

The rest of the mower works fine. When I got it the spring from the self-propel handle to the cable was missing and the rear wheels were bald. I replaced the belt for the self-propel, the cable, and the spring, the cable for the blade clutch, the wheels, along with new blades and mulch plug. The self-propel works great now, the wheels spin a little every time it takes off in fast speed (2).

Does that mean it's the blade clutch that is worn? From the serial I think this mower was manufactured in 1994. I'd love to replace the clutch along with any other parts that are known to wear around it and get another 10 years out of it.

Here's a link:

HRM215 Shop Manual on eBay

Now about the slow down problem. Just to be sure, is the engine and blade slowing down, or just the the blade?

With the blade engaged, the engine should be spinning at 3,150~3,300 rpm. At idle, with the blade stopped, the engine should be at 2,100 /- 150 rpm. If you can get a tach and measure these, we can know for sure what to check next.

There were three Service Bulletins issued for drive-related problems with some of these models. Either the mower would stop self-propel (worn drive pulley), the drive clutch cable might break (improved bend in cable tip), the drive clutch would slip (weak weld in clutch lever). But, none of these would be part of a slow-down of the engine or blade.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
It does sound like the blade clutch (Honda calls it Roto-Stop) is worn out. I've seen some where both the driven disk can clutch along with the brake plate are all worn and causing a slow-down issue. Here are a few pages from the shop manual.

Please be aware this kind of repair to a safety-related system on the mower is important to get right. I'd encourage you to have an experienced technician at an authorized Honda dealer do the work for you.

Attachments

• roto-stop 1 of 3.jpg
    roto-stop 1 of 3.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 186
  • roto-stop 2 of 3.jpg
    roto-stop 2 of 3.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 165
  • roto-stop 3 of 3.jpg
    roto-stop 3 of 3.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 144

mage182

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tips. I should be able to handle the repairs based on the samples of the book you posted. I'll order that and use it to help me break down the mechanism. From there I'll determine what looks worn and order those parts.

I'll assume since I have it apart I should replace the Blade Holder Bearing? What about the Brake Spring? Is there anything else in the area that wears and should be replaced?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
What about the Brake Spring? Is there anything else in the area that wears and should be replaced?

Here are the wear limits from the manual...good luck with this.

Attachments

• roto-stop 4 of 3.jpg
    roto-stop 4 of 3.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 124

Dutch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here are the wear limits from the manual...good luck with this.

Robert, I've got a HRB215HXA, serial MZBA-6430780, that I had to remove the Roto Stop from the engine. I'm reinstalling and I do not know the torque required to reinstall the Roto Stop to the crankshaft. I know that too much torque will result in the Roto Stop being engaged at all times since the clutch spring will be compressed. Can you help with a specification? Much appreciated!