Briggs Smokes after oil change

jakesmurray

Threads
I have a 12.5 HP Briggs. It has been burning oil recently, so i looked in the manual to see what oil you should use and it says SAE 30 in the summer. I have been using 10w-30, which it says in the manual that oil consumption will occur if you use this in the summer in warm temps. So yesterday I replaced the 10w-30 with regular SAE 30. Now, the engine smokes like a chimney while it is running. The smoke is a whitish gray color and it is a steady stream out the muffler. The engine still runs perfect- just as it did with the 10w-30. Maybe I haven't used it enough, so maybe the smoke will go away. All I did was do a lap around the yard, which took about 2 minutes. Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

possum

Threads
Seems alot of folks have trouble with oil changes lately. I can only imagine it is overfull.

daynepark

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is great to see people doing basic servicing instead of waiting till it dies. The biggest trick with oil and four stroke motors is that if you need to turn the motor on it's side for any reason you need to turn it in a direction that puts the valves ( if side valve motor ) upwards in the air. If you turn the motor with the valves down oil will run into the valve chamber and through the air filter and muffler.Just let it run its own course till it runs clear