Troy bilt mower leaking gas when fuel is added

Syd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
My troy bilt self-propelled mower is leaking gas from the carb/fuel filter area as soon as fuel is added. Can't see any cracks in chassis. Mower has sat for a year from last operation. Definitely won't start.
Any thoughts?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Either the needle valve is stuck open or has some junk holding it open allowing it to overfill the carb and leak. Will need to remove and clean the carb, should also install a repair kit in the process.

DaveTN

Threads
I agree w/ the mechanic who said it could be a piece of foreign material holding the float needle off the seat. Or it could be the float pin and hinge sticking which would also prevent the needle from seating. You may want to take the float bowl off and manually inspect the float and needle, blow it out with compressed air or carburetor cleaner. Put it back together and see if it still leaks. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to check. Trying to find a kit on Saturday or Sunday might be a problem. If this procedure works, at least you can mow the lawn and then hunt for a kit and clean the carburetor and put in a new needle and seat. etc. Hope this helps

Syd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys. i will take it off and check the needle tomorrow.
I appreciate your your help. I've had zero problems with the mower until this point.

Syd

Forum Newbie
Threads
P.S. ILENGINE: Is the repair kit I would ask/search for a Carb Kit? Where to find?

Thanks again

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are referred to as a carb repair kit, carb kit, carb maintenance kit, Just take in your model, type, and code and the dealer will be able to look up the correct parts.

DaveTN

Threads
Just happened to think that the cause of the fuel pouring out when gas added to tank, could be the float itself could be full of gas with a hole in it. The new plastic ones being molded in one piece don't give as much trouble as the old brass ones with two soldered halves. A float with gas in it would make it ride low in the bowl and let gas pour through a good needle and seat. Should have thought of this sooner.