what really defines commercial vs residential?

txzrider

Threads
So I am still new to the forum, I am constantly amazed at the amount of expertise and experience that is displayed here! I recently bought a new mower(used with low hours from craigslist). I did alot of research looked at specifications until I was blue in the face... finally went with what appeared to be a huge upgrade to my snapper zrider, yet also gave me something similiar and something new I learned I needed after 15 years with the snapper. I recently read a comment about commercial vs residential quality that made me wonder...
What really defines it? Price paid? Size, quality of materials?
I think is has to be expected life cycle, durability and ease of repair. As well as what I really think it is all about, the ability to get a good clean cut. So what defines that? Well to me has has to be blade speed with sharp blades and a stable deck that keeps everything in alignment. Supported by a strong chassis that allows the deck to float at a uniform height. So bottom line I think any mower can cut as well as any other mower given the same blade speeds, blade sharpness and uniform height above the grass. My new mower is a huge upgrade, has blade speeds approaching what I have seen for commercial and this years version does. I still think of it as residential due to the things I would expect from a commercial mower... a top grade air filtration system, a better engine, mine is a 20hp B&S single cylinder, much stronger hydros. So I am asking all of you who are recommending someone spend $5k and up (admittedly below real commercial) what are you expecting to get with those dollars and why? How will it help the guy that has 4-6 acres to mow and that is all.

MNBen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I see you have not gotten any responces to this. Maybe there are not many commercial readers on this forum.

I would say...
  1. the engine would not be a briggs and stratton, it would be a Kawi, Kohler or Diesel
  2. the deck would not be stamped, it would be constructed and welded
  3. the deck width would be 50+ inches, although I have seen 44" comercial units. This depends on lot size
  4. servaceable parts like the greese zerts in the area that would wear on a residential mower
  5. the unit is identified by the manufacture as commercial
  6. the unit is not covered by plastic housing
  7. when you hop on it a little foice in your head says "arugh, arugh, arugh!!" and you have to increase your cap size by a notch or two.

MN Ben
resident looking for a comercial mower

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
Love the post before mine. Lol

A residential mower will cut 6 acres just fine, if that's all it's having to do. Work that residential mower 40-60 hrs a week during the growing season, chances are you wont have much of a mower left after
1- 2 yrs.

Commercial mowers are better suited for continuous use which for commercial lawn care guys, that's a must.

txzrider

Threads
thanks for the replies... I did not think anyone ever would. So what about quality of cut? Is that only higher blade speed that the commercial units can do... or do the pro guys keep their blades extra sharp. That was always an area where I felt like I should be sharpening much more often. By the way I heard a diesel TORO ZT cruise by while dropping my son off at school and I was letterally shocked how quiet it was!

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
Using sharp blades defiantly improves the quality of the cut no matter the machine used. Residential mowers give just as good a cut when blades are properly maintained and the yard is cut on a regular bases. A push mower gives the best cut of all but isn't practical for us commercial guys or anyone with a big yard. Lol

The commercial mowers give a better cut than residential mowers on lawns that haven't been kept up. Simply because they have more HP to push through the thick stuff.

The diesel mowers have come a long way. They work best on harder ground, with their added weight they tend to leave a rut after awhile on soft lawns like we have here in FL.

Parkmower

Threads
I run commercial mowers for a living. On a commercial mower everything is just built way heavy dutier. The engine, hydro pumps, hydro lines, deck spindles, even the seat. I am somewhat amazed at how flimsy residential mowers are.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
I run commercial mowers for a living. On a commercial mower everything is just built way heavy dutier. The engine, hydro pumps, hydro lines, deck spindles, even the seat. I am somewhat amazed at how flimsy residential mowers are.

True that! That's why our mowers can handle the abuse we put them through.

benski

Threads
I think the longevity of the machine probably defines the demarcation between commercial and residential machines. I've seen some nice looking lawns that were cut by cheap machines, but in 200 hrs. (or less!) of use, that cheap machine will be junk. Stepping up to a better built machine ended up saving me a lot of time and money that I didn't spend at the repair shop at $59.00/hr.:biggrin:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
As stated in the thread - commercial machines are generally rated and designed for use on a continuous basis with hard use and long life. Residential machines are designed to be used less frequently and generally have a shorter expected life unless treated gently and caringly maintained.

I see you have not gotten any responces to this. Maybe there are not many commercial readers on this forum.

I would say...
  1. the engine would not be a briggs and stratton, it would be a Kawi, Kohler or Diesel This is the one I can't agree to - Briggs also has commercial engines - you just don't want a Briggs designed for residential units on a commercial machine. Whatever brand engine - it should be designed for commercial use, matched to usage, and maintained well.
  2. the deck would not be stamped, it would be constructed and welded
  3. the deck width would be 50+ inches, although I have seen 44" comercial units. This depends on lot size
  4. servaceable parts like the greese zerts in the area that would wear on a residential mower
  5. the unit is identified by the manufacture as commercial
  6. the unit is not covered by plastic housing
  7. when you hop on it a little foice in your head says "arugh, arugh, arugh!!" and you have to increase your cap size by a notch or two.
MN Ben
resident looking for a comercial mower

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting to read these comments. What is the entry level in liquid cooled engines. I am still stung by the overheated time bomb BS Intek 24 that came apart twice during reasonable use and TLC.