Briggs & Stratton 17 hp smoking after changing oil

R H Clark

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a used Troy Built with 17hp B&S engine. I only tested it about 10 minuets when I bought it.I decided to change the oil because it was black.When I changed the oil it smoked very bad. There is oil under the air filter and a lot in that channel-hole that I can stick my finger in under the air filter adjecent to the carb.

danbo

Threads
OHV motor?
your crankcase vents into the air filter base.
over full on oil?
if compression is getting into crankcase could be bad rings, or bad head gasket, if i was to guess i would say head gasket, they are cheep and ez to replace. make sure you adjust the valves when you put it back together.

possum

Threads
Do not get angry but a person sees some things that are a bit odd at times so here goes. Where did you pour the oil in and how much did you pour in? Those hold about 1.5 quarts if you got all the old drained out.

R H Clark

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well,I poured the oil down the oil dip stick tube. I checked often to make sure I didn't overfill.I got it to full and then cranked it a few seconds to fill the filter.Afterward it had lowered to the add line so I slowly added untill full.I cranked it again which is when the smoke started.

Yes it is an OHV motor.I'm thinking head gasket.I removed the air filter and cranked it.I can see a lot of frothy oil coming from under the metal plate directly under the oil filter.The oil is running down the air hole-channel and going into the carb.The oil is thick with air but will return to normal in about a minute.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong from my description and possible provide a ling where I can put my engine #'s in and get some skematics (spelling) and possibly instructions for the fix?

I really do appreciate the help.I don't know much about these engines but I think I can work on it if I can get some instructions.

danbo

Threads
there are some videos on utube, look for briggs OHV head gasket, valve adjustment.

R H Clark

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does this sound like a blown head gasket?