js28, js38 walk behind mowers

h.lake

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im thinking about buying either a js28 or js38 walk behind mower. Does anyone have one of these and if you do what is your likes and dislikes. My lawn is flat with no ditch or hills and im not sure if there is a advantage for me with a front drive or rear drive.

Thanks in advance,

h.lake

nero198

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am also in the market for a new lawn mower. My old reliable John Deere 14SE has a clutch and the bottom clutch portion (attached to the blade) keeps coming loose - very frustrating. New clutch is $120+.
So I am thinking of buying a John Deere JS28 at $379 or a Honda HRR216 for $399. There seem to no performance comparison between John Deere and Honda on this forum or on internet.
Good Luck

h.lake

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was looking at the js28 at lowes, i ended up buying a js26 from a local dealer. The two mowers seem to be identical, they both have the same features and i cannot figure out what the difference is. The js 26 that i bought is the nicest mower i have ever used. the mowmentem drive system is great and the mower is lightweight making mowing effortless. the mower was $350 and i think it was well worth the money. the biggist reason i bought this mower was i needed one with variable speed self propel, light weight and a adjustable handle.

jrlampe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im thinking about buying either a js28 or js38 walk behind mower. Does anyone have one of these and if you do what is your likes and dislikes. My lawn is flat with no ditch or hills and im not sure if there is a advantage for me with a front drive or rear drive.

Thanks in advance,

h.lake

- We bought this mower and after using it about 12 times, it started to stall out after a few minutes of running. After that, the mower will NOT restart. It is as if it has flooded itself. This is the most expensive and least useful mower we've ever purchased. We took it in for repairs, and they cleaned the carb. No change in behavior. Also, you have to hold part of the handle in a forward position (bent forward) at the wrist in order to engage the drive capability. This is really painful after a while. We have a small yard that we mow, and need a reliable, easy to use mower. This is not it. We are huge John Deere fans and own one of their tractors. Can't understand what went wrong in the mower design.

rcox

Forum Newbie
Threads
- We bought this mower and after using it about 12 times, it started to stall out after a few minutes of running. After that, the mower will NOT restart. It is as if it has flooded itself. This is the most expensive and least useful mower we've ever purchased. We took it in for repairs, and they cleaned the carb. No change in behavior. Also, you have to hold part of the handle in a forward position (bent forward) at the wrist in order to engage the drive capability. This is really painful after a while. We have a small yard that we mow, and need a reliable, easy to use mower. This is not it. We are huge John Deere fans and own one of their tractors. Can't understand what went wrong in the mower design.

I bought the John Deere JS 28 one year ago thinkning this was a quality manufacturer and product. After one year the product suddenly sputtered and stopped running and has not started since.

malenarose

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought the John Deere JS 28 one year ago thinkning this was a quality manufacturer and product. After one year the product suddenly sputtered and stopped running and has not started since.
We bought a JS28 toward the end of the season and used it 2 times. This year have not been able to keep the mower running. It will stall out If you stop it for any reason, it will not restart. Normal maintenance has been done- clean the carb, change oil and gas, change the plug, etc. We are very frustrated with this Mower.

tomnj

Forum Newbie
Threads
We bought a JS28 toward the end of the season and used it 2 times. This year have not been able to keep the mower running. It will stall out If you stop it for any reason, it will not restart. Normal maintenance has been done- clean the carb, change oil and gas, change the plug, etc. We are very frustrated with this Mower.

Same here. I have a 1 year old JS38. Worked like a champ last year. Cannot start this year. Stored it all winter with no gas. I let it run out last fall. Fresh gas this year, no start. Fresh sparkplug, no start.

Ryan Rognstad

Threads
Old post anyway when it comes to front wheel drive or rear wheel drive it depends on two things would you rather mulch or bag and do you have any hills first if you want to bag then a rear wheel drive is the way to go reason being as the bag fills up it tends to lift the front of the mower leaving you with no traction and when it come to hills its the same concept you want more traction pushing you up the hill and you will get that from the rear tires. The last scenario is if you have a very intricate lawn you may want a front when drive because its very easy to lift up the front end and do a 360. Its based on personal preference I would always go rear wheel drive especially if I wasn't sure.