3 Acres and $7K Budget...what mower?

hitmanharleyk

Threads
you would need a large zero turn for 3 acres...I would opt for a tractor with a finish mower on rear and use a rider or small zero turn around the house.

Sometimes we need to read the previous post before replying. The OP clearly stated he wasn't he didn't want a tractor and that he didn't have room for multiple pcs of equipment in his garage. He has also made it fairly clear he wants a zero turn mower.

I mow 2 acres with plenty of trees with a 48" Husqvarna commercial ZTR in about 1.5 hours, I'm sure a 54" or 60" would meet his needs and he'd be very satisfied.

RickO

Threads
I understand your desire for a canister and grease-able spindles but at 3 acres of easy cutting, you may be throwing lots of moeney and perhaps over buying. I had 2 acres of lawn to cut which led to four acres. I had an old White, 18hp 42"deck which would take me the better part of the weekend to cut, every weekend. I was spending every second of down time taking care of the lawn. Don't get me wrong - I love taking care of it but EVERY weekend and ALL weekend?

Point is, I think we were in the same boat. I started looking at zero turns and wanted one due to the power, speed, and the ability to get very good quality (commercial grade.) Problem was I didn't want a 1-trick pony. I needed something that would cut fast but still pull an aerator, broadcast spreader, garden cart.

Where I ended was with a Craftsman PGT9000 - for these reasons. Close (kinda) to a zero turn. It's 50% faster, 50% more power and 25% more cutting, (54"deck) than what I had. The other big reason is Sears Essentials was going out of business and I got the tractor and a triple bagger for $2864. I will NOT dispute what the reviews state about this tractor because by and large, they're all true but for 3 acres of manicured lawn for your purposes please consider higher end garden tractors. As you stated, garage space is a concern. Me, I'd love to have the PGT9000 for the fields and a zero turn for the manicured lawns but as you said, I wouldn't be able to store that many goodies either.

I will also share that this PGT is as fast as some zero turns, (I've seen ranges from 7 - 12mph.) This PGT does 7.6mph and it flies through the cutting. It literally more than halfed my time. I'm not trying to sell you on mine because I think there's better, but more suggesting you look at garden (vs lawn) tractors more before ruling them out. I thinks you'll get more versatility.

Just my opinions here meaning to help. Either way, you seem to be doing good research. Look forward to hearing what you decide on.

RickO

RickO

Threads
Someplace, some where I saw a new product. It was like a cross between a lawn tractor, a generator and a mini-vehicle, (like a very small ATV.)

It got me thinking. Why not? Why are there no cross bred ATV's and Lawn Tractors? The unit having an onboard generator doesn't do much for me but I have to say- I love that someone is reinventing the concept. In a perfect world, I'd like to see a tractor with HIGH clearance, 4x4, removable (finish) cutting deck, rear platform that would accept ATV tools, (broadcast sprayer...) and a rugged trailer hitch so I could remove the finish deck a pull a 54-60 inch rough cut mower so I could do the fields...

I may be insane but I'd like to see the product.

Threads
Someplace, some where I saw a new product. It was like a cross between a lawn tractor, a generator and a mini-vehicle, (like a very small ATV.)

It got me thinking. Why not? Why are there no cross bred ATV's and Lawn Tractors? The unit having an onboard generator doesn't do much for me but I have to say- I love that someone is reinventing the concept. In a perfect world, I'd like to see a tractor with HIGH clearance, 4x4, removable (finish) cutting deck, rear platform that would accept ATV tools, (broadcast sprayer...) and a rugged trailer hitch so I could remove the finish deck a pull a 54-60 inch rough cut mower so I could do the fields...

I may be insane but I'd like to see the product.

Yes, it is called the Raven available at Lowes. See the following links for more info:

RickO

Threads
Yes...!!! This is what I saw. (Thanks.) From my perspective, I'd like to see all the manufactures consider this and develop their own version. My dream would be 75% ATV with a rear PTO, rugged frame, high clearance and a detachable mid-mount finish deck. I hope this new design takes off and some great ideas come out. I have to now finish cut 5 acres and field cut 15 acres. I REALLY do not want to go out and buy a 40K Kubota. (Ouch.)

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Based on my problems mowing 2 acres with an Intek 24 powered craftsman 3 bagger stay away from Briggs. Got a lemon? Maybe I did. Without any reason other than proven engine tech in motorcycles I'd go Kawasaki. Bad vibes on this forum for current Kohlers? And consumers mag is not recommending Cub Cadet due to problems ( buyer surveys). Also notice a big ad campaign by Cub Cadet. Should that scare us?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Based on my problems mowing 2 acres with an Intek 24 powered craftsman 3 bagger stay away from Briggs. Got a lemon? Maybe I did. Without any reason other than proven engine tech in motorcycles I'd go Kawasaki. Bad vibes on this forum for current Kohlers? And consumers mag is not recommending Cub Cadet due to problems ( buyer surveys). Also notice a big ad campaign by Cub Cadet. Should that scare us?

motoman,
Nope, not an isolated "lemon" case with that B & S!! I had a 2006 Craftsman 52" YS4500 that had the same 24hp Intek. A real piece of junk. On the other hand, I had a 1993 True Value 46" Lawn Chief lawn tractor(that was FINALLY retired last year) that had a 16hp B & S Vanguard that was a GREAT engine and still ran like brand new when the tractor & deck fell out from around it after 19 years. That Vanguard still didn't use a drop of oil between seasonal oil changes and out-mowed that 24hp Intek hands-down. B & S lost sight of the small engine designs from years gone by and have lost a lot of consumer confidence along the way. They are no longer a first pick for me that's for sure as I'm sure you will agree. I hated to go "Japanese", but the Kawasaki's are the dominant small engine for reliability now. The Kohler Courage was a big mistake for that company as well!!!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
$7K isn't bad depending on the motor. I went by my local Cub dealer today, but they didn't have a single Tank model. Bummer.

Cirrus,
Most of us here on the forums will recommend the mower brands that we own which is understandable(especially if we are happy with them). User Ric has had very good service from his Cubs and those LZ & SZ mowers are fine machines. But like I said earlier, I am a very happy Gravely ZTR owner, so I would encourage you to see if there is a local dealer where you can compare the Gravely's to others you are considering. The entry level Commercial Gravely Pro-Turn XDZ 100 that I bought(the 52") has a Kawasaki FX691V and the 60" in that series has the FX730V. Both are right down your alley(cannister filters) and both have a full suspension seat and a WEALTH of Commercial grade features and Warranties. The 52" has a MSRP of $7499 and the 60" $7799. Below is a link to the Gravely website and you can locate a dealer and check online MSRP pricing from there. I think you will be impressed with the Gravely which won my money(I also made offers on a Hustler Fastrak Super Duty, Bad Boy Outlaw and Dixon DX100...but the Gravely was my overall favorite). Good luck finding he ZTR that is the best fit for you!!!

Pro-Turn 100 Zero Turn Mower

rccsofla

Threads
Have you look at the Ferris? Just got the IS700Z.Greasable spindles,front axels and commercial drives.