Mower keeps surging

Bacon8r

Threads
Hey guys,
I have a honda hrr 216 vxa k3 that I just replaced the carb and some gaskets and adj. the valves (its ohc) and it still surges even at high even after its been running for an hour and will not idle reguardless. could you guys give me a list of what the problem could be? PLEASE?!!
Heres what i have thought of so far but haven't tried:
leak in gaskets, throttle cable is stretched, not revving high enough
please comment and tell me what i should do and have a good night.
Bacon8R

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
make sure the gas is fresh.....and that its pure[ no additives in it].....surging is usually a fuel starvation issue[running lean]....could be a plugged passage in the carb......or an adjustment screw not set or an air leak in the manifold section....is the carb new or rebuilt?..............is this what the carb is like?....... http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Honda-H...ARBURETOR-GASKETS-/260978040680#ht_2735wt_910

DaveTN

Threads
When you said you replaced the carb, what was the old one doing? Would it even run? Was the replacement carb a new one or another used one? I agree with the other mechanic who thinks it's some form of fuel starvation causing the "hunting" and revving up and down. Check the entire fuel system to make sure you've got sufficient fuel flow from the tank to the carb. Even loosen the bolt holding the bowl on and see if gas flows out of it and let any water in the bowl out. I take the bowl off and visually inspect for sediments and check float operation. Could be some residual trash in the line getting down into the bowl and stopping fuel pickup. The only other thing I could think of is to richen up the main mixture screw some. Turn it about 1/8 turn counter-clockwise. That usually eliminates the "hunting" / "surging" etc.

Bacon8r

Threads
Yespica reddragon it looks identical. And yes it was brand new form the dealer with brand new gaskets. The fuel is 3 weeks old super premium, with stabil. Have tried adjusting the mixture screw. Didn't make a difference and there was a limiter type flange off the screw that limited you to screwing it in any more than 1/8 turn. Hope you have more ideas because i cant think of anything else. Bacon8R. And thanks again!

Bacon8r

Threads
Oh guys I forgot to say that before I replaced the carb, it was worse but still would run. Did I say it can't idle at all ( it kills at about halfway from full throttle to idle throttle.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
everything still sounds like a lean condition.....lets assume the carb is fine......you can spray starting fluid around the carb area when its running rough and see if it changes anything....if so then youve got a vacuum leak...try..if possible to avoid the air cleaner intake...and use little squirts in small areas so you can focus in on a leak...........other than that....i wouldnt use premium unless it requires it and i wouldnt use "stabil" at all....that should only be used for storage during the winter....i would dump that gas out and try non additive regular gas[89 octane]...tell us if any of these helps:rolleyes:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
also...if you think the throttle isnt up to par....then you can buy a tachometer like these to reset it....if necessary........... laser tachometer | eBay