JohnDeere Jonny

Jon Flores

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I found this forum while looking for directions on installing a horn on a riding mower. Well, I figured it out!

okiepc

Threads
Welcome to the forum. Would you mind sharing how you installed the horn, that way I could signal my wife to bring me a cold drink out to my rider.:thumbsup:

Jon Flores

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah. I used a dual terminal horn from napa. There is a wiring diagram on the back of the pack my horn came in. A "brass push button starter switch" part number 86915, as the horn button from tractor supply. I liked the black rubber cover on it. And a 10 amp fuse. After I decided where to mount the horn and "horn button", I used 14 gauge wire to do the deed. I came off the postive terminal on my starter solenoid with the fuse harness (10amp). Used some of that 14 gauge wire and continued to one of the terminals on the horn button. From the other terminal on the horn button wire to one terminal on the horn. From the other terminal on the horn, wire to the frame. I just found a nut and pinched the end of the wire between the nut and frame. That's the best ground. Make sure your fuse is between the power source and everthing else.

Last edited:

okiepc

Threads
Thanks for the info, I might put it to good use. :smile:

DaveTN

Threads
"Deere" John: Thanks for the intro letter. I like your idea of the horn and read the wire-up. Trouble is I don't have anyone here to fetch drinks for me. Some guys put big lounge chairs on their mowers, but somehow they can't recline in them and mow! lol Not from lack of trying I bet'cha. I'm retired, work on mowers when I want to but don't have a shop. Surfed in here looking for help on the cast iron Kohler's as I've got one with Gremlins from Hell lurking in it. Won't stay running for 3 minutes, cuts out and dies. I'm a mechanic , retired from SEARS and Suzuki, and done everything I can think of to solve this problem. It's on a log splitter and the former owner (who gave it to me, and he calls himself a FRIEND!!) had trouble out of it as well. So, now I'm stuck with it. I used to drive 28 miles one way to work on it for him till he got tired of it. Oh well. I'm thinking of putting a 11.5 Honda on it. WELCOME to the FORUM!

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the John Deere Forum. :smile: