country clipper forum

txzrider

Threads
I mow my dads acre in a couple of hours, but it is a mess with stuff to go around and under. I mow my house in about 30 min. It is a little less than half and acre.

cyoumans

Forum Newbie
Threads
Joystick You like? Pros and cons?

Had an old 73" Snapper Joystick. Now have a 60" Boss. Love it, except joystick was stiff. I removed stick knob, and extended stick with a brass threaded rod and coupler (can't spell). Before cutting rod to desired length, put a nut on rod and then back the nut off to straighten threads. Now it is like a knife through warm butter. Take the knob with you to hardware store to make sure you get the right thread size.

bill1631

Threads
I used to have an 1989 Excel Hustler 440 and something always needed maintenance or fixing on it. I now have the Country Clipper Boss (2010) 60" w/ Kawasaki 26hp and love it. No problems, easy low maintenance, nothing breaks, and it looks great. Check the oil, fill it with gas and go. I really like the "BOSS" name and now they have dropped it. Bad move Country Clipper!! I have the joy stick control and love it. The deck power tilts allowing easy blade changes and cleaning the underside. I sit on a stool to change the blades instead of laying on the ground or rigging a lift of some sort. The blades get sharpened and changed more often because of this and it gives a better cut. Compressed air is used to blow off the mower after use and I only occasionally wash it off. I removed the pulley guards from the deck and remounted them with magnets so I could remove them and blow off around the pulleys easier. This works great if you like to keep your mower clean and you don't have to put it away wet with the compressed air. I also installed flat proof semi pneumatic dolly wheels.
However if I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the 72" cut with more HP. I don't believe you can have too big of a mower. Occasionally I double cut to the popular X pattern and my lawn looks exceptional. With a wider cut you can do this in the same time a smaller mower takes to cut one pass. And if I'm in a hurry I can single pass it before dinner gets cold....or the beer gets warm...which ever. I'm cutting about 3 acres with the Clipper and use a Kubota tractor 72" cut w/ 45hp for another 3 acres or so about once a month. We have 10 acres total.
Bill - Northwest IN

txzrider

Threads
starting 3rd year with mine... only issue is my b&s 20hp single is blowing oil... I think it was caused by the carb leaking gas into the crankcase the 1st winter I had it... I have since put a valve on it...(as I will from now on... on any new to me mower) The standup deck is everything I had hoped it would be. Love the joystick as well.

bill1631

Threads
Is the CC forum still being read? I have a 2009/2010 60" Boss with the 26hp liquid Kawasaki engine. It has a joystick control that I love and works like a charm. However I can't find what maintenance the joystick control needs. Lube? of what kind? Adjustment has never been needed but it got stiff once and I sprayed penetrating oil in on the controls as best I could without taking the side panel off and the control loosened up. It is after 6 years working great. The reason I'm asking is I have to replace the throttle cable and got a price shock after ordering it from my dealer. Near $80 or so with tax for 45" of throttle cable. I didn't have the time to shop around as I'm helping out a neighbor by cutting their lawn along with mine. I want keep the maintenance up on the mower and these (only one so far) price shocks for parts away. I installed the hand railing and this should be standard on all zero turn mowers. Really a help for us old timers - at least me and it is very solid. I also added solid front tires. If it ever wears out I will definitely look long and hard at a new Clipper - best mower out there for my money.
If anyone can help me on the maintenance needed for the joystick control I would appreciate to hear it.
Bill - retired in Northwest Indiana

txzrider2

Threads
my joystick so far has not needed any maintenance... its all rods and heim joints and I have not seen any grease fittings on them, the spindles all need a shot every year tho'

My briggs finally died so I replaced it with a newer one that says it has pressure lubrication. The briggs had issues since my 1st year where the carb leaked gas in the crankcase... I put a fuel cutoff valve on it but I think the damage was done. It smoked and blew oil out the fuelpump but still ran well... until the avs system broke! It ran fine but the vibration was unbelievable !

txzrider2

Threads
I will say one thing about my older country clipper vs the newer ones... since my use is purely residential, I would get the cheapest country clipper that had the pivoting front end. Which I think is the Edge XLT ... I don't expect to have to replace mine anytime soon... but I really miss the pivoting front end my Snapper had vs this solid front end of my Jazee one. (2010 version) I have no idea what the cost diff is for the 48 inch Edge with a joystick vs a 48inch Avenue... but I think over the course of 10 years minimum that I keep one of these it would be worth it. I am not at all unhappy with the cut from mine, its just the deck and mower overall seemed to float over bumps and dips better on the Snapper Yard cruiser that was my 1st ZT.

jpcc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have searched and cannot find any information on changing transmission fluid on 2008 Country Clipper Jazee SR205 and there is nothing out there, so here is what I did. I try sucking out the oil (20W50) through the fill hole as there is not a drain plug, but only could get 1/4 out. I bit the bullet and drilled holes (5/16) in the low part of the transmission on the side of aluminum case. After flushing out the fluid to make sure there were not metal shavings I bought tappered rubber plugs from ACE hardware, to hold the plugs in place I made plated out of thin steel and used two of the transmission case bolts to hold the rubber plug snug in their. So far no leaks and the mower works much better after fluid change.