Buying Advice Dixie Chopper...Classic T or Classic W??

target75

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Folks, New to the forum and I have a question about the Dixie Chopper. Where I live the only good ZTR choices I have are DC, Hustler, Toro and Bush Hog (these dealers are located about 5 miles from where I live and that is a must when problems arise!). I am a homeowner with 6.5 acres to mow. I currently have Ford 3000 45HP diesel with a 72" finish mower and 2 16 yr 0ld 20hp 50"deck riders with BS and Kohler engines. The Ford does the bulk of the mowing and the riders do the rest, about 2 acres of trimming and yard cutting, I average about 2 hrs per rider every wk to 10 days. Anyway, I am looking to replace the riders and have decided to go with the DC Classic T or W. Seems the biggest difference are the engines ( T has a kawa 27hp and the W has the generac 27hp) also the drive systems are different as well. The T has the 'Parker Torqpact' while the W has 'Dual Hydro Gear'. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these machines and pro's and con's if any of each. Just looking for advice and any help would be greatly appreciated!! I know this is more mower than what I need but hop to have it for a very long time.

Thanks, Tom

Last edited:

Marioenos

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Folks, New to the forum and I have a question about the Dixie Chopper. Where I live the only good ZTR choices I have are DC, Hustler, Toro and Bush Hog (these dealers are located about 5 miles from where I live and that is a must when problems arise!). I am a homeowner with 6.5 acres to mow. I currently have Ford 3000 45HP diesel with a 72" finish mower and 2 16 yr 0ld 20hp 50"deck riders with BS and Kohler engines. The Ford does the bulk of the mowing and the riders do the rest, about 2 acres of trimming and yard cutting, I average about 2 hrs per rider every wk to 10 days. Anyway, I am looking to replace the riders and have decided to go with the DC Classic T or W. Seems the biggest difference are the engines ( T has a kawa 27hp and the W has the generac 27hp) also the drive systems are different as well. The T has the 'Parker Torqpact' while the W has 'Dual Hydro Gear'. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these machines and pro's and con's if any of each. Just looking for advice and any help would be greatly appreciated!! I know this is more mower than what I need but hop to have it for a very long time.

Thanks, Tom

Both machines are new models. But I have seen both at my locale dealer. From what I can tell, it just depends of you're preference. The kaw engine is a very powerful and smooth engine. The Generac is like an old big block Chevy that hates the cold. Both are good engines. If I was buying one today based on engine alone it would be the Kaw. Now the Torqpact and pump/wheel motor question is a good one. If you Google search torqpack you will find some really good info on the subject. Pump/Wheel motors are an old tried and true setup that most manufactures have been using for years. But from what I have seen their days are numbered. I really don稚 think you can go wrong with both. Good Luck

WISCOPROUD

Threads
Stay away from the T. POS!!! The parker hydro bad news!! I would own an excalibur myself and nothing else.

WISCOPROUD

Threads
very spongie, pain in the butt to adjust tracking (never get them to drive straight), and poor power:thumbdown:

Marioenos

Forum Newbie
Threads
I never noticed that. The one I had as a demo was very nice and powerful. Did you have steering damper on it?

WISCOPROUD

Threads
i was wrong about the hydro critique. Just drove the T at our shop. The exact opposite- very jerky, the actual steering arms are flimsy. Very cumbersome w/ the cheap magnum/ iron eagle style deck lift and belt tensioners.WOW!! Not even a True Classic. Dixie should be ashamed of calling it that. Buyer beware:thumbdown: Stay w/ silver eagle or if you got the $ the excalibur:biggrin:

mahindradon

Forum Newbie
Threads
i was wrong about the hydro critique. Just drove the T at our shop. The exact opposite- very jerky, the actual steering arms are flimsy. Very cumbersome w/ the cheap magnum/ iron eagle style deck lift and belt tensioners.WOW!! Not even a True Classic. Dixie should be ashamed of calling it that. Buyer beware:thumbdown: Stay w/ silver eagle or if you got the $ the excalibur:biggrin:

Dixie heard you and changed. The OLD CLASSIC is back! Hydro-Gear Pumps and White Wheel Motors !!! springer front ends and everything else you loved about the Classic. Coming around Halloween time so the Monster can come to the party!