tecumseh 5 hp motor dies after initial start

mb1530

Forum Newbie
Threads
My tecumseh 5 hp motor on my Murray lawn mower dies after initially starting up. It will fire up over and over but will not remain running. Any suggestions?

Tikal

Threads
Did u check the air filter? I just fixed somebody's mower today by just removing it, then it stopped puffing:)

okiepc

Threads
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a fuel problem, clean the fuel tank, lines & carb. is where I would start. :thumbsup:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would say you either have water in the gas or the jets are partially plugged. Clamp off the fuel line and carefully remover the bolt on the bottom of the carb. If the float bowl comes off that ok, but we are trying not to take it off. The bolt you remove is also the main jet and you want to make sure that all the holes are open. Clean and reinstall. If the float bowl comes off, you may to purchase a new bowl gasket. On the side of the carb you will see a small plastic cover. Remove the cover and under you will find the idle jet. Remove and clean. The center jet is very small and hard to open up if plugged. Reinstall and test unit.

rmancini

Threads
Something you can try:
If you have a primer bulb, prime with 4 - 5 pushes and start. When you hear it getting ready to stall, push the primer bulb as many times as required to allow the motor to recover and run. You may have to do this several times until it warms up.
I have a 5hp, horizontal shaft Tecumseh on one piece of equipment and this is how I must start it when it's cold. After it warms up, it starts normally. It has been that way since day 1. I'm not sure if it's a Tecumseh trait or not but it will cost nothing to try.
Rich