Lawn Boy Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Teds

Threads
Greetings fellow LawnBoy nutcase... er, enthusiasts. I hope I found the right place. I refurbished a 7265 from top to bottom, we had one growing up. Mom bought dad this model for Fathers day as I recall, they had bought a new house and she said dad deserved a new mower to go along with it, instead of the lesser models then in use. My dad used to say "I've got three lawnmowers, and none of them will start." He was referring to us boys actually.

Anyway over the years I found these models to have a good quality cut and very light to maneuver. I replaced all the usual suspects, rings, crankshaft seals and needle bearings, reeds, and ditched the utility carb for an older metal carb. New wheels makes it roll nice, and should make for a better looking lawn.image.jpg

2smoked

Threads
Greetings fellow LawnBoy nutcase... er, enthusiasts. I hope I found the right place. I refurbished a 7265 from top to bottom, we had one growing up. Mom bought dad this model for Fathers day as I recall, they had bought a new house and she said dad deserved a new mower to go along with it, instead of the lesser models then in use. My dad used to say "I've got three lawnmowers, and none of them will start." He was referring to us boys actually.

Anyway over the years I found these models to have a good quality cut and very light to maneuver. I replaced all the usual suspects, rings, crankshaft seals and needle bearings, reeds, and ditched the utility carb for an older metal carb. New wheels makes it roll nice, and should make for a better looking lawn.View attachment 30837

Nice Lawn Boy & nice work.

Teds

Threads
Thanks, it looks a little rough compared to some, though mechanically it should be good to go since it has so many new parts. We'll see if the new lower crank seal holds up, it was leaking. Bought an extra needle bearing, from reading the hot fix is to bore out the bronze bushing and press in one of those. I did see an NOS 400 series long block on eBay, it was locked up but I bet the crankcase is OK. I think they use the same crankcase, but actual 600 crankcases are unobtanium. The cost would have been about the same as boring a bushing out maybe, it was listed at $40.

Mine now shows about 110 PSI compression after 4 or 5 pulls, starts cold with 1 pull. I'm ready for summer now... Thanks!

Stephen_12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. i have a few lawnboys - I have had them my entire life since I mowed as a kid using a 1967 bricktop. I have 1 F Series Commercial, a 1963 bricktop, and a 1958 Model 5200 with the gold engine. IMG_4252.jpgIMG_4252.jpg

2smoked

Threads
Hello Stephen. You sure have a nice mix of old Lawn Boys--a collection that anyone would be proud of. I hope you enjoy this forum.

Lawnboy77

Threads
Awesome Stephen, love the gold brick in the pics. It all looks like new. Could you post some more pics of the collection?

GeeBee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gary from WI here, I have a Lawn Boy Gold Series model 10515, serial number 4901216.
It runs but the Muffler Plate F , part number 92-1054, is cracked all the way through. Anyone have a parts stash or know of a source where I could get this part without having to spend $60 ordering a new one?
If not does none know for sure if this part is aluminum or magnesium? If it's aluminum maybe I could get it welded?
Thanks!

jp1961

Threads
Hi Gary,

It's not magnesium, you should be able to get it welded.

Regards

Jeff

MforMatt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello to anyone still keeping an eye on this thread.

I’m Matt, a newbie from Washington State. I’ve had a few Lawnboys along the way in my life; a 1979 Mulch-R-Catch with an F engine, an S21SZN I believe was the model, an 8234 (self propelled capstan style), and then a 10552 I bought brand new right before they stopped being sold. After 6 months of California ethanol gas in the 10552, the carb was toast. Warranty wouldn’t cover it, and being in my mid 20’s I just gave up and got rid of them all. Now, 15 years later, I have found what is kind of a holy grail lawn boy for me; an intact, running (mostly) M21BMR. I have wanted one of these since they first came out back in 1990. I bought it from the original owner, and he took very good care of this machine. So I am blowing out the cobwebs in my brain and getting back into the 2 stroke world.

I said it’s mostly running because there seems to be a governor issue. When I start it, it screams, and if I try to slow it down to idle, it shuts off. I’m very nervous to tinker with the carb due to the oil pump linkage that also connects to the carb and gets calibrated with the governor. Anyone out there have any experience with these?

Hope to hear from some fellow members soon.