Building a pull behind mower

Mwh0428

Threads
I have a 14 hp Briggs engine and a good solid mower deck. And I want to build a pull behind mower any ideas?

Sent from my iPod touch using LMF

Berniebac

Threads
I had thought about buying 3 of those reel type mowers, building frame to attach them to and pulling them behind the tractor by hitching to the trailer hitch. You can buy the reel mowers cheap when people get tired of pushing them around.

Mwh0428

Threads
I have two of them reel mowers. But I need to figure out how to make the hitch and need to find wheels also.

Sent from my iPod touch using LMF

fastback

Threads
I built a drag around system to use is conjuction with my tractor mower. I used it for a couple of years until I upgraded the tractor to a 52 inch. In fact, I just got rid of the mowers recently.

What I used were a couple of 20-inch mowers each with its own engine (they were free). I removed the front wheels and bought a couple of HF air filled swival units. I had to fabricate some brackets to support the wheels I also made them adjustable. The drawbar was made from 1 1/2 inch square stock. I used two sizes so they could slip into one another and make the wigth adjustable. The hitch was a ball hitch also from HF. Since my tractor has a sleeve hitch I incoporated some rods that connected to the hitch. I have a lathe I made some swivels so that he mowers would track on uneaven ground. As for the mowers I removed the handles and removed the blade break. I installed a couple of brackets and installed kill switches. I ended up with a 72-inch cut. It's not a great setup if you have a lot of obstacles.

Berniebac

Threads
I built a drag around system to use is conjuction with my tractor mower. I used it for a couple of years until I upgraded the tractor to a 52 inch. In fact, I just got rid of the mowers recently.

What I used were a couple of 20-inch mowers each with its own engine (they were free). I removed the front wheels and bought a couple of HF air filled swival units. I had to fabricate some brackets to support the wheels I also made them adjustable. The drawbar was made from 1 1/2 inch square stock. I used two sizes so they could slip into one another and make the wigth adjustable. The hitch was a ball hitch also from HF. Since my tractor has a sleeve hitch I incoporated some rods that connected to the hitch. I have a lathe I made some swivels so that he mowers would track on uneaven ground. As for the mowers I removed the handles and removed the blade break. I installed a couple of brackets and installed kill switches. I ended up with a 72-inch cut. It's not a great setup if you have a lot of obstacles.

I was thinking of picking up an old mower deck and trying to fit a small motor on top of it to run the blades. Put a few lawn mower wheels on it and a trailer hitch tow that behind the tractor. I wonder if you could drive a deck from its own engine?

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking at a 60 inch deck on cl, would need to add rubber tires and an engine.

Pumper54

Threads
Go to You Tube and look at what others have done. You should be able to mount the engine to the deck and then use it to power the blades. 14 hp would power a pretty good sized stand alone deck. Add wheels and a tow bar. If you have fabrication skills it should not be an issue. I am thinking about finding a couple of very cheap push mowers and building a bracket so they mount in front of my rider and cut the grass in front of the mower wheels. I need something like this to mow the field at my farm as I don't get there all that often and the grass can grow up to a couple of feet. I have several ideas in my head, just need to translate them into being.

Tom