Scag Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

realeight

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to the zero turn club

I acquired a 2007 60" Turf Tiger that runs great...until yesterday. I was cutting some pretty heavy stuff when it conked out. Figuring I just stalled it out, I tried to restart. Engine fired up as usual but when I try to engage the blades, it shuts down. I lifted the front end up with hoist thinking I ran over some rope or something, but nothing there. What gives?? It was cutting like a champ but now it's nothing. Is there some sort of blade safety interrupt circuit? Help!!

55TBird

Threads
Re: New to the zero turn club

I acquired a 2007 60" Turf Tiger that runs great...until yesterday. I was cutting some pretty heavy stuff when it conked out. Figuring I just stalled it out, I tried to restart. Engine fired up as usual but when I try to engage the blades, it shuts down. I lifted the front end up with hoist thinking I ran over some rope or something, but nothing there. What gives?? It was cutting like a champ but now it's nothing. Is there some sort of blade safety interrupt circuit? Help!!

Not a mechanic, don't know electrical, but had a similar problem before. A spindle bearing had give out and seized up. Couldn't see anything, but couldn't turn blades by hand. One spindle was hot so it was easy to find.

Now, with something stopping your blades like a seized bearing, or if you've collected some barbed wire, it stops your engine suddenly. But if it's an electrical cut off, the engine will sound like it does when you turn the key off.

Good luck.

mrmachinist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: New to the zero turn club

I have had the same issues recently with my 07 tiger cub. I wasn't cutting heavy grass when it append but it would die when the blades were engaged. I ended up finding a bad battery, then it was blowing fuses, then I found the electric pto coil was shorted out. Just put a new clutch on friday evening and spent about 4 hours on it cutting some 3 week old ( around a foot tall ) grass with no issues yesterday.

I would check your fuses, check the resistance on the pto clutch should not be 0, should be around .01-.1, also check your switch to see if it melted like mine did as well. Im not a mower mechanic, but that is what I have found on mine. Hope that helps

Moe Fun

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Scag Owner Check-In - 48" Liberty Z

New member here. I've pushed a mower for over 55 years, but the old hip joints are worn out and painful now, so it's time for a rider. With the encouragement of my wife, we pulled the trigger on a 48" Liberty Z with 18 HP Kawasaki, to be delivered this coming Tuesday. It's a lot cheaper than surgery. :laughing:

Homer1

Threads
Howdy folks. Don't guess I ever "checked in" so here I am :)

I'm in KY, mowing daily with a 2015-2016 Freedom Z Pro 52" with Briggs CT power, now called the Patriot. Got her on sale a few years ago, was old stock before they added the "Pro" decal, then went to the Patriot.

Looking back I wish I had waited, the new model offers a Kaw engine and folding ROPS. Guess you live and learn. Still love the cut, and overall reliability. It was my first ZTR and I am hell bent on Scag quality now. I probably won't purchase anything "new" unless it's a Scag ever again.

I've also inherited a JD tractor mower, and most recently a Husqvarna 6127 commercial that I am currently restoring. Life is good. Love mowing, keeps me busy and out of the house!

Cheers.

thefreedom1.jpg

Subdivisionbigdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member here. Proud owner of a Scag Liberty Z w/48 deck and Kohler engine. Also own a 1996 John Deere 325. Absolutely still blown away with the quality, performance and cut of my scag.View attachment 34606

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
New member here. Proud owner of a Scag Liberty Z w/48 deck and Kohler engine. Also own a 1996 John Deere 325. Absolutely still blown away with the quality, performance and cut of my scag.View attachment 34606

I started running Scags in 2014 commercially. I have three Tiger Cats with Kawasaki engines and 52" decks. We cut an incredible amount of grass with them. I have never witnessed anything that will cut Pensacola Bahia grass with one that has fresh blades on it. I have one that is in the 1700 hour range and has been more than abused and it has had few breakdowns. The newest will be 2 years old in April and it has over 700 hours on it.
You will never go wrong with a Scag mower they are incredible.

Round2it

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am James and I have a 2015 Cheetah w/61" deck - I call her Cheetah. I felt cheated after one year of the 3 year warranty. Cheetah broke her engine. Kohler 29 EFI. Just stopped running. Hauled it in and one month later I got her back. Welch plug in crank shaft popped out and gaulded the crank to the block. New short block from Kohler shipped and installed. No problems since but my glass is half empty after this event.

I am not in business but have 5 acres to mow in Florida. Scag is my first Zero turn and I am amazed at the time saved using a Cheetah. I don't mow in high gear, it's to fast. I may have purchased an overkill mower but....I am looking at a Grasshopper 721D w/61" power deck. Believe it is a 2006 with 517 hours. It has been well taken care of from an estate sale.

Please feel free to add your 2 cents / advice /wisdom to a new member. Send the bill to Round2it in Fl.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am James and I have a 2015 Cheetah w/61" deck - I call her Cheetah. I felt cheated after one year of the 3 year warranty. Cheetah broke her engine. Kohler 29 EFI. Just stopped running. Hauled it in and one month later I got her back. Welch plug in crank shaft popped out and gaulded the crank to the block. New short block from Kohler shipped and installed. No problems since but my glass is half empty after this event.

I am not in business but have 5 acres to mow in Florida. Scag is my first Zero turn and I am amazed at the time saved using a Cheetah. I don't mow in high gear, it's to fast. I may have purchased an overkill mower but....I am looking at a Grasshopper 721D w/61" power deck. Believe it is a 2006 with 517 hours. It has been well taken care of from an estate sale.

Please feel free to add your 2 cents / advice /wisdom to a new member. Send the bill to Round2it in Fl.

I run 3 Tiger Cats in my business. "IN MY PERSONAL OPINION" Your issue lies in the Kohler engine, not the Scag mower. We run Kawasaki engines. I personally have never talked to anybody that runs mowers with the Kohler's that have not had issues with them. Several were catastrophic failures like you described. I have never operated a Grasshopper mower and I know of no dealer in my area. I do know that I have never operated nor watched anybody else operate anything that will out cut a Scag.

IN other words don't cut off your nose to spite your face. if you are going to trade, get a Scag with a Kawasaki. I have not met anybody that had problems with them. I have not heard anybody with a Vanguard that has had problems either.

Round2it

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are right about the engine not Scag. I do like the feel and cut of a Scag. Kohler caused my mower to be down for a month. I had a Kubota B6100 tractor with a 48" finish mower that I used to cut with and I have the opportunity to get another Kubota Diesel with a mower attached this time. Good on fuel economy. Thanks for your insight and wisdom. James