Troy-Bilt Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Solocam678

Forum Newbie
Threads
Solocam678

I have a mustang 54 zro turn mower. Having problems with finding a diagram on how the drive belt is run. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TonyCooper

Forum Newbie
Threads
My name is Tony and I have a TB blower, edger and power propelled 21" lawn mower. The edger is giving me fits due to no spark. Have posted earlier.

Air87

Forum Newbie
Threads
My name is Anthony and I own a 42" deck 2008 Troy-bilt Bronco with a 17hp Briggs & Stratton engine. Just moved to Georgia with my first home.

basshole

Threads
My name is Robin. I own a 26J Mini Rider 30". Manufactured 2/2013, I am the 2nd owner. Previous owner purchased from Lowes. I purchased the rear bagger. Good mower with a few issues.

RooWalk

Threads
Good Morning

My name is Anne, and I have a Troy-Bilt Super Bronco. She just came back from the shop having a pulley replaced that was eating belts.
With ten acres that the Tractor maintains, the Troy-bilt has to take care of the round pen and back yard and small areas the tractor cannot get into.
I need to make this mower last, so I am excited to learn ins and outs :) Trading up will come in the next few years.

Anne

greene

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, this is greene.
I have a used but new-to-me Troy Bilt 21 inch walk behind push mower with a Honda engine. Will be replacing the stop cable.

huskerfoos

Threads
Hello all. I'm JJ. I posted a few weeks ago about a problem with my Pony (slipping pony) of anyone maybe able to lend me some ideas I'm all ears.

It's slippinh, replace belts, still slipping. Pics throughout as requested. But no responses since. So wondering if I should open her up.

Thank you

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hello all. I'm JJ. I posted a few weeks ago about a problem with my Pony (slipping pony) of anyone maybe able to lend me some ideas I'm all ears.

It's slippinh, replace belts, still slipping. Pics throughout as requested. But no responses since. So wondering if I should open her up.

Thank you

for the sake of continuity this post has also been added to your original thread

if you do not get an answer in a couple of days, click on the [more] link on the right side then from the window that pops up select the :anyone: emojie.
This will bump your thread back into the "New posts " list so when regular posters go on line it will pop up.
I ( and I suspect many others ) do not get emails from the forum, I get around 200 or so a day so another 40 is not on.
Thus when people stop posting , the thread goes dead.
From where it was it looks like the suggestion of a jumping dog will be correct so it is time to pull out the tranny,
Usually a dog not properly engaging can be heard from 50' away with its distinctive machine gun ( jackhammer if you like ) rattle cause by the dogs grating over each other.
In the original post you did not mention this which is why those who repair mowers for a living were concentrating on belts, pulleys & springs as these are fairly well quiet when they slip.

Just one of those things that happen when you are trying to diagnose from text on a screen

So it will be out with the tranny.
A fairly simple job as you already are an expert in changing the belts, after that it is just a matter of dissengaging the FNR control rod and the brake rod.
Double check the parts diagram as there are the 4 bolts on the axel itself ( 2 either side ) plus some stabilizers that are easy to overlook.
Give the tranny a really good clean as you do not want grit to get in there as then you have to change all of the grease and that is really messy.
On some the big pulley can be left in place on others it overhangs the case bolts so it has to come off.
DO not pull the shaft out or you will have to replace the seals and this goes for the axels as well.
there are some pry points to lever the two sides apart and then lift the top off.

Usually you only need to replace the actual sliding dog.
The shaft that moves it has some indents that run over a spring loaded ball bearing to index the sliding dog.
It has a habbit of vanishing into space when you take the dog out.
I used to clean all of the old dry grease out but now I just add some fresh 00 grease to free things up a bit.

A bit clumsy to explain but once apart it will be very obvious how it works.
Apart from the actual sliding dog, the collar that shifts it wears and so does the bushes at either end which allow the entire shaft to move left right.
They are not expensive and usually I replace the dog gear and both bushes,
Some have facilities for shims to go under the bushes to take up the free play.

Threads
Hello. New owner of a used Troy-Bilt Bronco here.

I have about 3 acres to mow and the grass is growing like crazy here! Hoping you fine folks can steer me in the right direction with some simple repairs.

rickpaulos

Threads
Troy Bilt Tuff Cut 220 (looking for msrp)

I bought this well used mower this winter.
Looking for the MSRP in 2002 for reference.

I just cleaned it all up and tuned. new air filter, cleaned the carb, evicted the mice and cleared out the mouse nest. At least they didn't do any damage this time. Sharped the blade, added a pull cord loop to the handle bars. Starts really easy, that's something I never say about mowers. Briggs 6.75 hp with pull start. Front wheel drive with 1 speed only. No throttle or idle speed adjustments on the carb. Seems to run a tad bit slow. Mulching model. Side discharge or bag are options but I don't have either. After mowing an hour or so I'm not wanting to keep it. I don't like the ergonomics of how the drive handle works, you push it up and forward, away from the main handle.

rick

IMG_9002 by rickpaulos, on Flickr

Last edited: