Gravely/Ariens Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Droyp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys. Brand new to the forum. I have a Gravely pro turn 148. That will not start. Like one of the previous questions it sometimes will just click! Sometimes not even that. The starter is new, put on by a gravely dealer. I think there is a short some wher because even when the mower was running it would sometimes act like it was dying , and sometime would die for no reason. Need some help

tbzep

Threads
I had a Craftsman (AYP) lawn tractor that did that. Turned out to be a bad safety switch under the seat. The Gravely needs the seat, parking brake, and deck clutch safety switches working to start. Might try temporarily bypassing them one at a time before moving to something more complex.

Last edited:

ruahoo2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Gravely 42" ZT with 23 hp. Kawasaki engine. I bought it new in 2012.Has been a great mower with no problems.:smile:

MeBigDave

Forum Newbie
Threads
New Gravely owner ZT HD 48"
20170619_133057.jpg

DavidGunn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I own a 1963 Gravely Model L with a 30" mower, snow blower, plow, and recently purchased a sickle mower. Everything still runs fine and I'm now searching for the correct blades for the sickle mower.

Dave

Chugtruck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am the newest North Carolinian to the forum. I purchased a Gravely 460 with the Kubota Diesel over 2 yrs ago. I looked at the Walker, Ferris, Hustler and Deere mowers before deciding on the Gravely. The air ride seat and Kubota diesel were the deciding factors on my selection. I have not been disappointed. It is a mowing monster.

Mowing for me is like having a psychiatrist. I can put on my headphones, listen to my music and relax. For this reason I call my mower "Dr G.". When I mow, the Dr is "IN".Gravely Mower.jpg

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am the newest North Carolinian to the forum. I purchased a Gravely 460 with the Kubota Diesel over 2 yrs ago. I looked at the Walker, Ferris, Hustler and Deere mowers before deciding on the Gravely. The air ride seat and Kubota diesel were the deciding factors on my selection. I have not been disappointed. It is a mowing monster.

Mowing for me is like having a psychiatrist. I can put on my headphones, listen to my music and relax. For this reason I call my mower "Dr G.". When I mow, the Dr is "IN".View attachment 32932
I don't see it in their lineup anymore. Too bad if it was discontinued.

Gustang

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Gravely & Ariens mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Gravely/Ariens owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Gravely/Ariens mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Gravely/Ariens stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Hi,
I just started using my Ariens LM21, it's great. Just wanted to know if anyone knows where I can get a service manual and any kinks I should look for.

Thanks

OldDuffus

Threads
Howdy, folks! I'm new to the forum. I have a ZT Gravely model 915116 with a 50" deck. I purchased the mower in June of 2010 and it is running well, albeit with mostly expected maintenance issues. I change out motor oil each season but I am very lax on the oil filter replacement, like perhaps (2) filters in these last 7 years.

I thought it would be interesting to someone to know some of the things that went bad during 7 years into current service life:

The OEM battery conked out after 4 years of service, sound familiar to any of you? :frown:
I've nearly shredded my PTO belt due to my own foolish mistake of not routing the belt properly. It makes a horrid noise which I mistaken for pulley bearings going bad and finally realize after 2 minutes of the belt screaming at me and little power to the blades that I missed one of the pulleys and the belt is scraping on a pulley hub and sharp edge of pulley.

I do sharpen the blades myself once at start of mowing season and perhaps mid-season if the grass is particularly in a growth spurt.

I had problems with the forward/reverse/turn levers causing horrible jerking action, threatening to give me whiplash. Fixed with 2016 purchase of (2) dampers (they look like small shock absorbers). Amazing difference, smooth sailing again! :cool:

My current "trauma" is a bad PTO relay which I will cover in a later post.

pollishpickle

Threads
I am the proud owner of a Gravely 460 that was part of a warranty dispute with MTD. I did try a gravely loaner when my Cub was in for service and I didn't like it at all bad cut rough ride and just not pleased with it. My BIL brought jis over and I tried it although it was step gown from the loaner it was a lot better. I then tried the 460 and the air ride seat sold me.