Gravely/Ariens Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi, My name is Ken T, I inherited a ezr 1648 mower with lots of hours on it but it still runs well. I am having a problem with the right steering that is much more severe than the left one. does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks Ken

Yes Ken.,
firstly
:welcome:

Secondly please start a new post in the Gravely/Ariens section.
Call it EZR 1648 Steering problems.
Post the engine make & model numbers and the model & serial of your mower.
IF you cant find the tag then a photo of the mower will be a big help.
This is the Hoody Doody thread and very few problems posted in here get fixed.

Click on the green coloured text near the top of the page that says Gravely/Ariens Forum.
On the left side of the new window is a green box with Post New Thread in white.
Click on this then name your post and state your problems
We are here to help but it is easier to help you if we can find you in the place we go looking for people who need help.

jimbo@32

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to Forum

GREETINGS to all Gravely & Ariens mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Gravely/Ariens owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Gravely/Ariens mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Gravely/Ariens stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm using correct procedure. I recently purchased a Gravely ZTX 52 with a 25HP Kohler engine. My question is,,How can I change oil without spilling it all over the deck. Previously owned an older Gravely and it had a drain tube that rann to back of mower. I have checked everywhere I know and no one seems to make a drain kit for this mower. HELP!

cashman

Threads
Kohler offers an oil drain valve for the CH25 that has a barbed fitting on the end allowing you to attach a drain hose. It's in the Kohler accessory catalog. In lieu of having a drain valve you might be able to construct an easy way to divert the oil from running all over the place. Position the mower with the drain plug angled slightly downward using a jack or placing a block of wood under the wheels etc. Take a piece of aluminum foil and fold it into two or three layers to form a trough. Place a napkin under where the drain plug comes out of the engine and place the foil trough in the same position so that it will divert the oil into a suitable container. You still might get a little oil spillage but not as much as letting it run out all over the place.

jimbo@32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tks-will check it out. Sounds like it might do the trick

Bumble

Forum Newbie
Threads
John, here in Florida with a 2003 ZT144 992042 model. Bought it new and it is a beast. May be getting near the end of its service life though.

tiburon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bruce from Texas here. Just purchased 2017 ZT XD. So far very impressed with new design.

Speirfein

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone,

I have a Gravely 988059 (Pro 150) that my dad gave me. It's old and has a few issues that'll I be posting for help/assistance.

Problem 1: The steering control on the left hand side is sluggish and almost non-responsive. I'm looking at the diagram of parts and think I may need to replace a few springs. Any guidance here is appreciated.

Problem 2: One of the mower blades doesn't turn. In fact, my dad tried to change it and the actual nut itself couldn't be taken off when he wanted to replace the blades. Also, loosening nuts have been insanely difficult on the mowing deck. Any advice? I've tried every loosening spray in existence (I think). I can post pictures if that will help.

Problem 3: One of the external retaining rings on the right hand drive shaft is non-existent. I think I can replace, but not sure if it takes skill or not.

Lastly, what tools do you all recommend I have in my workshop in order to do repairs/replacement/maintenance work?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: New to Forum

I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm using correct procedure. I recently purchased a Gravely ZTX 52 with a 25HP Kohler engine. My question is,,How can I change oil without spilling it all over the deck. Previously owned an older Gravely and it had a drain tube that rann to back of mower. I have checked everywhere I know and no one seems to make a drain kit for this mower. HELP!
I'm not familiar with your mower but would guess a similar drain tube could be put on it. If nothing else, you can get an oil siphon (can't remember the mfg of the one I have) and siphon the oil out of the dipstick tube.

tbzep

Threads
I've spent my entire life with two riding mowers. A 1969 Murray Super Deluxe 25" that lasted until the mid 90's, and a Craftsman (AYP) 42" LT1000. I'm the son of a career mechanic. He kept the Murray running for over 20 years and I kept it going the last few. It was sold and still mowed well on flat ground. I kept the Craftsman going. It still runs, but it's worn out and I have a large yard with plenty of stuff to mow around. I finally got myself a Cadillac...a Gravely ZT HD 52".

20170328_172701.jpg

AMcD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checking in per instructions. Considering the Gravely ZT XL 42 for my 1 acre yard but wanted to do some research first and forums are usually good places to start.

I know the ZT X utilizes sealed hydrostatic trannies versus the XL using heavier rebuildable units. I tend to like rebuildable over throw away but the extra $1k upcharge warrants some inquiry on my part to see what people think of each type that have actually used them so comments are appreciated.

Also, Gravely of course tries to promote their own oils and filters for the ZT2800 transaxles at $100 but 5 quarts of oil, 2 filters, and some fittings/hose/pump bits do not add up to anywhere near $100 unless you are looking for crazy profit margins so are there commercially available alternatives for the oil and filter anyone is aware of?

Lastly, are there any other things I should be aware of on these mowers? Especially from the standpoint of "only the dealer can do this work". I like to do my own service and maintenance and understand the design of the equipment I have around my house. Paying someone else so I can stay oblivious is not really an option for me.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Of course, I will spend some time reviewing topics/threads on this forum and I apologize if I am asking questions already posed in other threads. Some forum members from other forums I have been a member of get kinda cranky about that kind of thing.

Well, gotta get back to work......enough daydreaming about a new tool to zoom around on!