Tecumseh engine starting, back firing and carburetor issues

mhoffman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Tecumseh engine starting, back firing and carburetor issues
I have a 1977 craftsman generator with a Tecumseh Model#HM100159017A. Had it running after I bought it a month ago and have since put a new carb kit in and replaced the spark plug to get it running better.

Now, the only way I can get it started is to put some gas in the spark plug hole and then fine tune with the carb screws to keep it running, if it starts at all:confused2:. It runs really rough, will backfire like the timing is off when trying to start it and has gas running out of the choke behind the air filter (another issue) any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated, thanks- Matt

natenkiki2004

Threads
Well, hopefully someone knowledgeable will come along, until then, here's my inexperienced suggestions :)

I would guess that if it's backfiring out through the carb, it might have proper timing but the intake vale might not close fully. I think adjusting valves would be a good start.

Briggs92

Threads
put your hand close to the carb bore ( not covering it or you'll choke it out) see if you can feel compression coming out of it. if you do either the intake valve is stuck open or it's out of time. the flywheel key could be sheared and throw off the timing. it could have sheared by a strong backfire otherwise normally flywheel keys don't shear on generators

mhoffman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys, I'll check this out tonight and see what I can find. It has been spitting gas out of the carb bore when I'm pulling the engine over and shooting a flame out sometimes so, I'm sure you're on to something there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Briggs has started you in the right direction, flywheel key sheared. Set the high speed screw at 1&1/2 turns out from lightly seated and the idle mixture screw 1&1/4 turn out from lightly seated. This is a good initial setting to get you started.

mhoffman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pulled the flywheel and the key isn't sheared, also doesn't seem like there's pressure coming out of the carb when I pull it over. I'm going to try a new carb float, there was a hole I soldered in it but, there's still a small amount of gas in it. The carb is getting flooded out and may be causing a lot of issues? Thanks for the input, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any fluid in the float will cause big problems. I suggest you replace the float, it is probably causing the flooding problem.

mhoffman

Forum Newbie
Threads
New float fixed the issues, thanks every one :wink: