change blade

John Mitchko

Forum Newbie
Threads
HELP!! I can't get the bolt loose that's holding my blade on. It's an older Honda. I've tried everything I can think of, including buying that Blaster stuff. Have applied it several times without success. Any ideas????

Parkmower

Threads
John Mitchko said:
HELP!! I can't get the bolt loose that's holding my blade on. It's an older Honda. I've tried everything I can think of, including buying that Blaster stuff. Have applied it several times without success. Any ideas????

Half inch drive breaker bar with a 6 foot pipe slipped over it.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the General Mower Discussion Forum. :smile:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you break off the bolt with the breaker bar try a tip given to me by my grandfather. Soak the bolt with a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze and kerosene. Don't laugh, it works. When you reassemble, use anti-seize.

okiepc

Threads
I have found that a 1/2 inch air impact wrench will make short work of it, the vibration seems to free the bolt better than a break over bar. Just my opinion:smile:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't see anything unusual about the blade/holder parts...the 8 x 50 mm blade bolt may have rusted/decayed quite a bit over the years and fossil-ized itself. Be careful with too much leverage and don't break or bend anything.

attachment.php

A dab of neverseize on the bolt and use of a torque wrench set to 22-25 lb-ft should prevent problems in the future.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

Attachments

• HR-173 blade diagram.jpg
    HR-173 blade diagram.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 73

John Mitchko

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Robert. I'll use the diagram when I get the new blade. Another question, if I may... The brake lever is frozen. I'm trying to unfreeze it with that Blaster stuff but I may have to change it. How do I get it off without tearing the whole machine down? Any thoughts??
Don't see anything unusual about the blade/holder parts...the 8 x 50 mm blade bolt may have rusted/decayed quite a bit over the years and fossil-ized itself. Be careful with too much leverage and don't break or bend anything.

attachment.php

A dab of neverseize on the bolt and use of a torque wrench set to 22-25 lb-ft should prevent problems in the future.

-Robert@Honda

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The brake lever is frozen. I'm trying to unfreeze it with that Blaster stuff but I may have to change it. How do I get it off without tearing the whole machine down? Any thoughts??

Are you talking about the flywheel brake lever by the handlebar? How about a photo, so I can see exactly what you've got?

The flywheel brake lever has a cable/spring to hold it away from the handlebar when released. Is it frozen up next to the handlebar or away from it? Here's a drawing:

-Robert@Honda

Attachments

• HR-173 handlebar and flywheel brake lever.jpg
    HR-173 handlebar and flywheel brake lever.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 12

John Mitchko

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I got the mower going the other day the flywheel brake lever by the handlebar wouldn't move to stop the motor. I had to poke the sparkplug off with the broom handle to stop it. So I got a straw to fit the Blaster stuff and am trying to pump it down the cable. If I have to take the cable off, I can't see how to get under the top of the mower to get at it. Seems like it's hidden under there with no easy access.
Are you talking about the flywheel brake lever by the handlebar? How about a photo, so I can see exactly what you've got?

The flywheel brake lever has a cable/spring to hold it away from the handlebar when released. Is it frozen up next to the handlebar or away from it? Here's a drawing:

-Robert@Honda