John Deere 14 SE hard starting

s10sleeper

Threads
Recently I posted about my 14SE walk behind with a Kawasaki OHV having troubles. I was able to resolve that issue by rebuilding the carb, new fuel filter, repairing the fuel valve and replacing the lines. Afterwards I adjusted the slow and fast idle, choke and governor.

I still have one problem, it is hard to start, like it doesn't get enough fuel. I know this because if I spray a shot of carb cleaner into the carb and replace the air cleaner, it fires right up. It has no idle trouble whatsoever nor any other issues. Other than the starting issue it runs like new, considering it is 20 years old. I have not been able to find any air leaks after I milled the intake and carb, also I have checked the ignition system and it is fine. I have no clue what else it could be

twinfords

Threads
sounds like the choke is not working properly, check the movement in the choke cable/flap in carburetor.

s10sleeper

Threads
Choke has been checked, I also checked all of the linkage and made sure the choke was closing when in the choke position. Somehow today it started fine, of course it was about 10 degrees warmer, but the thing runs like a champ when it is started, I can run it through 12 inch grass without it bogging down, of course I keep my blade extremely sharp.

Luckily, I just found out that the craftsman electric start mowers use the same size and rating battery for my electric start, at less than half the cost.