Craftsman 15.5 Kohler starting problem

james47

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver in order to get the mower to crank. Today I moved the gas tank and cleaned the cables (both) on either side of the solenoid and still the same click, click. It aint no fun tying down the clutch peddle than puting a cinder block in the seat and jumping the solenoid. There are two relays(that I saw) if one of them is bad would this have anything with my problem ...or do you think I should just buy a new solenoid and try that....they are not expensive. Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would start with the battery. Make sure that you have at least 12.5V at the battery. Then check the voltage drop when you try to start. Should be at least 11V. Also, clean all the connections. If the battery tests good replace the solenoid.

james47

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd figure that the battery was hot, I mean it spins like a 'top' when I jump the solenoid. Battery posts have been cleaned.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put 12V to the small terminal on the solenoid. If the engine spins over then we will have to look somewhere else, like the key switch.

james47

Forum Newbie
Threads
O.K. will do first chance. Gotta go visit Mom this afternoon, it's Sunday. tks. for the tip

james47

Forum Newbie
Threads
Solenoid it was, up and running. Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to help.