engine dies

Fireman71

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have cub cadet 2146 with 14 hp Onan. Engine dies after 10-15 min and unit has no fire at sparkplug when I remove and test. What I have noticed is that I can put screwdriver in plug wire and ground against block while cranking and get spark back.
1. Is there a true test for ignition coil on the this Onan engine
2. Do you have to pull engine to get cover off on back of engine enough to access the coil?

Thanks

Fireman71

Forum Newbie
Threads
do not have it with me (at work) It is a 14 hp onan (direct drive) Think they are called Linamar engines

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Linamar built engines under license from Onan. Older Onan twins had breaker point and condenser ignition systems, some had external magnetos but not usually found on tractors. Starting with the P Series twins they have a solid state ignition system, but both need battery power for ignition.
Find the model and spec numbers on the Onan/Linamar.
Mad Mackie in CT

Fireman71

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks man. I will get info when I get to the house and reply (This unit is 1999-2002 year) and is a single cyl engine

Fireman71

Forum Newbie
Threads
What did you find wrong?

My Cub is model 2146 and issue of it dying was actually a bad coil. Some shops say engine has to come off frame to access coil but I was able to remove engine cover and take bolts out of firewall behind engine and move it back enough to access coil on backside of flywheel. As I remember the coil was around 90.00 bucks but have not had any issues starting or dying since I replaced coil 2 years ago

Thanks,
Rick